x

Square Invoices - How do I attribute tax to the cost of a product, but not labor?

I am trying to invoice a client for a custom piece ordered and will also install it.  I want to have tax attributed to the cost of the product and no tax to the labor portion.  I am not seeing this clearly.  Is this possible?

Tags (2)
Message 1 of 3
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hi @sriedle — welcome to the seller community!

Thanks for bringing this up. You can designate which items are taxed and which ones aren't.

In this case — from your Invoices tab, head to the row where you've added the amount for labor. You'll want to click on Customize > uncheck any taxes from the pop-up window > Done. Next, you should see that the "Sales Tax" total in the lower right corner of the invoice editor will include only the cost of the product. Once your buyer pays the invoice, the taxes collected will also be recorded in your online Square Dashboard summaries and reports.

Learn more about editing invoices in our Support Center: Resend, Edit, or Cancel Invoices.

Hope this helps clear things up! Please don't hesitate to reply if I'm missing the mark or if you have any other questions. 🙂

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Admin

Best Answer

Hi @sriedle — welcome to the seller community!

Thanks for bringing this up. You can designate which items are taxed and which ones aren't.

In this case — from your Invoices tab, head to the row where you've added the amount for labor. You'll want to click on Customize > uncheck any taxes from the pop-up window > Done. Next, you should see that the "Sales Tax" total in the lower right corner of the invoice editor will include only the cost of the product. Once your buyer pays the invoice, the taxes collected will also be recorded in your online Square Dashboard summaries and reports.

Learn more about editing invoices in our Support Center: Resend, Edit, or Cancel Invoices.

Hope this helps clear things up! Please don't hesitate to reply if I'm missing the mark or if you have any other questions. 🙂

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 2 of 3

Thank you Tom!  Appreciate the help!   

Message 3 of 3