x

Square Terminal not Reading eGift Cards

hello. i've just started selling e-gift cards this holiday season and now people are coming in to redeem them. so far i have 2 issues. 

1. a client was paying an $80 balance and wanted to use her $50 e-gift card, which she did but wasn't able to pay the rest of her amount owing. the terminal just went back to the home screen. 

2. a client used her $100 e-gift card once, then came back another time to use the balance and there was no balance showing on the card at the end of the sale. it didn't show anything taken off from her first sale actually, it was still showing a a $100 e-gift card.

so my question is, what am i missing? i've gone through all the info online with no luck at all. what are my next steps. 

also, just checked the reports and nothing showing there either. just the clearing i did on the already used e-gift cards.

thanks. 

[The title of this post was updated by moderator from its original:Re: Questions about eGift Cards? We’ve got answers.]

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Square Community Moderator

Hi! Thanks so much for reaching out about this and I'm really sorry to hear you are having trouble accepting gift cards with your Square Terminal. That sounds like really glitchy behaviors, so I definitely want to dig into this. 

Does this happen with regular, plastic gift cards at all?

Also, I believe doing a hard reset on your Square Terminal will help fix this:

Resetting your Terminal will require you to sign back in, be sure you have your account password close by. To reset from your Square Terminal:

1. In the upper left hand corner, tap the three horizontal lines.
  2. Tap Settings > General > About Terminal.
  3. Scroll to the bottom of the page and tap Factory Reset > Confirm Factory Reset.
  4. Tap Reset one last time and the countdown will being and your Terminal will reset.

Note: If you’re unable to access the Terminal settings, hold down the power button for 40 seconds to perform a manual factory reset.

Once the reset is complete, you’ll need to reconnect to your internet connection and sign back in. If you continue to have issues, please do not hesitate to reach back out.

Please let me know if this fixes the issue for you. If not, please try to send in screenshots or a video, if possible, and please blur out any sensitive information for yourself, account, or your customers. Thank you!

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 4

i don't have plastic cards so it's only been the digital. 

also, does that mean i'll have to re-add all my items, etc? that would suck!

Message 3 of 4
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @dianasuco 👋 I can step in for @AshleyK on this one!

A hard reset of your Terminal will not impact your items and account settings; that information is held securely on an account-level on our databases here at Square. The only thing you will want to double check before resetting your Terminal would be to insure that you have no pending Offline Mode Payments that have yet to upload.

Once you've reset your Terminal, simply log in using your account credentials, and test out your eGift cards.

Let us know how it goes! We will keep an eye out for your reply.

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 4