x
Beta Member

Square gift card payments

How do I receive payment for a square gift card that was purchased at another venue but then used at my business?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Super Seller

Hello @Funfood !

Are you talking a gift card from another location of yours or another square merchant entirely?

If it's another location of yours, the gift cards should be able to be used regularly: swipe the card at payment time and it should run just like a credit card. You can then check out the card activity info on the Gift Cards section of the dashboard.

If it's a gift card from another merchant, unfortunately the gift cards are not interchangeable between merchants. If you've set up some type of sales agreement with another merchant, your best bet is to talk to the merchant about sending you payment for the ticket. If you don't have an agreement set up, unfortunately there's not much you can do.

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Super Seller: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!
Message 2 of 4
Beta Member

I am looking into offering Square gift cards and I thought it said they could be used anywhere Square was accepted. So I was just wondering how that worked if someone purchased a square gift card somewhere else and then wanted to use it at my location

Message 3 of 4
Super Seller

@Funfood Short answer is it doesn’t. 😞

The gift cards are coded specifically for the merchant that purchased the cards—well to be clearer the cards are not attached to the merchant until a balance is loaded onto them. Once there’s a balance on the card, that card is tied to that specific merchant. 

The only way we could have a card good at all merchants is if Square came up with some kind of branded prepaid Visa card. While I’ve learned to never say never with this company, I personally don’t think that’s high on Squares list. 
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Super Seller: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!
Message 4 of 4