x

Star TSP100IIIU: Can you connect it to an iPad using a lightning/USB cable?

The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Star TSP100IIIU

The Star TSP100IIIU Model printer allows a Lightning (iPad) -> USB connection (printer).  This let's you use one cable to both charge the iPad and use the printer.  This would be helpful for me in a few of my Square for Restaurant installations where I am not using the Square Stand (and associated USB hub).

The STAR TSP100IIIU powers the iPad but I can't get Square for Restaurants to see the printer.  Is it not yet supported with this connection method (Lightning cable/USB)?  I have no problem connecting the printer when using the same iPad and a Square stand.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Admin

Hey @cbenson! You're right, that set up isn't supported yet! The Star Micronics TSP100III printer is a USB printer that can only with the Square Stand or Square Register. (Confusingly that printer is called the TSP143IIIU in the Square Shop.) Currently, the only printer you can connect to an iPad via USB (without Stand/Register) is the Star Micronics mPop printer.

If you want use an iPad outside of the Stand another option would be to use an ethernet printer, such as the TSP143LAN printer. You connect that printer to your router using an ethernet cable, and then your iPad will connect to the printer wirelessly. No cables needed! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 2 of 4

Thanks for the replay @Helen !  I have indeed used a few other models of Star (and Epson) printers with my Square system for Kitchen printers.  Is this kind of support planned for these printers?  It would really help to get rid of some cords!

Message 3 of 4
Admin

I can't make any guarantees but the Hardware team is always testing new printers (and other hardware) and different set ups as we roll out new features, like Square for Restaurants! I recommend keeping an eye on the Hardware Compatibilty page as it's frequently updated and of course we'll share updates here too! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 4 of 4