x

Taking Order at a physical store using Square POS/Retail

Question -- Can a Merchant use the Square POS/Retail solution, to take/record an Order for a customer who (1) lets say visits a physical location, but want the item to be shipped somewhere?, OR (2) even a more common case, where the Customer wants to place an Order over the phone, for delivery. I want to understand the workflow around how that Order will be recorded using Square POS/Retail software, and the fulfillment workflow?.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Admin

Hi @mfarhans! These are great questions, so sorry for the wait!

At this time Square's shipping and fulfillment solutions are focused on customers using Square's online store. The customer provides their shipping address when placing their order online. Then the merchant processes the order from the Square Dashboard.

If you're taking orders in person (or on the phone) you could add the customer's shipping address as a note on the payment. That way, after the payment has been completed the address you would have a record of the customer's address, and ship the item. (A note about notes: any notes added to a transaction will be included on the customer's receipt!)

I hope this information is helpful! Please keep in touch and let us know if you have any other questions.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 2 of 7

Plus 1 for a feature like this. 

I have been trying to figure out how to manage in store deliver / pickup orders for a week now. Notes simple dont work because there is no way to sort the transaction and create a list. 

Message 3 of 7

My website is not available yet. I am transitioning from Shopify to Square. However, I have a customer who requires a product to be shipped. I have used XPS to ship in the past and can get a flat rate for this, but what is the best way to add this fee to the POS sale?

Create a category with the flat fee and add to the sale?

Message 4 of 7
Alumni

@808Sweetshack - since Shipping rates are focused solely in the Online Store, you'll need to creating an item called 'Shipping' and leave the price variable. 

That way, when adding the shipping item to the sale, the POS screen will prompt you to enter a custom amount. 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 5 of 7

I'm very new to Square and just learning how I can integrate into my retail business; Most (but not all) of my customers will purchase in store with delivery for a later date.  How do I sort out/filter the purchase history for the customers who have chosen delivery?  I will probably add several items as you suggested above, for diffrent delivery areas.  The customer wil also choose a specific date for delivery so rather than just processing all deliveries as they come in, I need to group them by zone and the date they want the item/christmas tree delivered.  

Message 6 of 7
Square Community Moderator

Right now, we don't have a way to integrate delivery options via our point of sale, @Justinjjs, so there isn't a way to filter which purchases have selected delivery. 

As a workaround, you could add your customer's delivery method as a note to the sale, and download a .CSV file which will include this info via your Dashboard:

1. In your dashboard, go to Transactions and select the timeframe you'd like to view. 

2. Select Export > Item Detail CSV.

3. Download and open the file to see, and sort the notes field for your delivery. 

Please let us know if this workaround could be workable for you! 

Message 7 of 7