x

Tracking cash with multiple tablets & 1 cash drawer

We have been using square for a couple of months now works well for the most part except for trying to close out the cash drawer at the end of the day... I'm using 4 samsung tab A tablets in a small restaurant setting. 

1 is set up as a cash register mainly taking payment for togo orders.

2 are used by 2 waitresses taking orders and payment tableside.

1 is for the expo taking togo orders by phone and does not take any payments.

"Cash tracking" is turned on for the three tablets that take payment... the problem is when we start the day the amount in the (only) cash drawer is entered into all three tablets, but each tablet only keeps track of the cash that that tablet has taken for the day, so when closed out for the day the drawer reports three different amounts of cash that should be expected in the drawer at the end of the day. Hence my cash drawer can be over or under 1000 bucks on any given day and it leaves me ripe for the picking should anybody decide to steal cash some day.

Any help would be appreciated as ive sent customer service this question and they sent me some generic copy and paste solution on how to turn on cash tracking.

Thanks 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Super Seller Alumni

This is what I did and it works fine.  You have your main register hooked to your cash drawer.  When you open put the starting cash in this register.  The other registers enter 0 for our starting cash.  At the end of the day close your ending registers and enter the amount is says you have collected.  Then add the collected amount of all three together and count the drawer.  You should come out fine.  now if I was off I would enter into my main register to show the difference.  

example

Reg 1 - Open 100, Sales $100,     (Should have $250 in the Drawer.  Actual Cash $249 Short $1.00,  Enter closing amount of $199 to reflect the loss of $1. So your reports are correct)

Reg2 - Open $00, Sales $100, Close $100

Reg3 - Open $00, $Sales $50, Closs $50

Message 2 of 3

Thanks, Ive tried your suggestion... hell I tried giving each server their own bank and that never ballances out... so now I make all cash customers use the register with only one trusted person ever touching cash and still my drawer is perpetually negative 9 times out of ten.

There are some real problem with this software... primarily it cant seem to track cash period. If somebody wanted to steal I'd probably never know.

Message 3 of 3