x

Using Square without Cell Service

Hi New to Square - considering it for non-profit.  We are limited in funds and hardware is my question.  Do you need to have a phone carrier to use square app or can you just use internet?  I'm a little  confused about posts talking about "mobile" hardware.   I'm looking to get a tablet samsung Tab A 5.0 with built in wifi; android.  Can I use just that tablet as is or do I also have to have a phone carrier too?  

We would only use it sporadically thru the year at a few fundraisers, so we'd rather not have a phone contract...

thanks in advance for input and help

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Super Seller

As long as you have internet access you're good to go. You don't need cell service. 

I dont know about android devices as we use iPads. Android devices aren't all supported as there are literally 1,000s of different devices. 

Here re is a list of some devices supported. https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5584-devices-compatible-with-square-contactless-and-chip-car...

Message 2 of 7

Thanks so much for your reply.  One more question - with just internet, does that mean that we would have to manually enter in each transaction?

Message 3 of 7
Super Seller

The Square app doesn't care if you are getting WIFI or cellular internet.  So swiping and dipping credit cards with chips will work just fine.

Message 4 of 7

Im interested too. We want to skip the Square stand because it requires a pricey IPad. A 2-in-1 or a regular tablet with the chip card reader should suffice if it's on the compatible list. If you create an item menu, you should be able to pull it up and enter as if you are at a POS system. We use the Square Stand at our business and it's hooked up via Wi-Fi.

Message 5 of 7
Super Seller

The Square POS app will bring up the same POS interface whether or not it is in s Square Stand.  I can't give any advice on tablets other than iPads because we use Apple products exclusively.  The brand new iPad is $329 and was just released last month.

Message 6 of 7
Alumni

Welcome @UCEMGVA and @VLR, looks like @VanKalkerFarms helped you out, but feel free to let us know if you have any other questions about getting started. Thanks for posting in the community! 

Message 7 of 7