x

What are the differences between the chip readers (besides the obvious of jack/no jack!)?

I am curious the difference, besides the obvious, of the Square Chip Readers other than price ($29 vs $49) and connectability (phone jack vs wireless). Why would you choose one over the other?  Also, if you choose wireless, do you initially need to purchase the dock? Thank you

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

I initially purchased the $49 chip reader and I wish I had not.  It might work well for some buisness but I am a mobile buisness and find it cumbersome to use.  It connects via bluetooth and is something else to carry and it slows down the transaction to have to find it and use it.  If you have stationary buisness it might work well because it also allows customers to pay with their smart phone.  We end up using the free magnetic swipe reader the most but I wish I had got the $29 version but I can not find my original email to return it so I guess I am stuck with it.

Message 2 of 7
Square

@Clay - Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts! I totally understand what you mean, as we're still in a sort of limbo period where banks haven't replaced everyone's cards with chip cards yet. They'll probably wrap up that process this year, then you won't have to worry about carrying both readers.

@AloeGirl15 - In general, I recommend the Contactless and Chip Card Reader to sellers. It's portable, doesn't require a direct connection-  so it's compatible with more devices, and it accepts contactless payment in addition to chip cards. What type of business do you have? 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 3 of 7

I went ahead and bought the $49 version when they were first released. 

I don't like the process at all. 

Now I have to keep track of yet another cable and another thing that has to be charged.

When I'm working up the sale on my phone I need a third hand to hold the reader so the customer can insert their card. It's a real hassle. I'm standing at a booth. I don't have a counter or a dock. It's just clumsy to use. I understand the shift in liability, but I really resent this **bleep** reader. 

Is there going to be one that plugs into the phone like the original swipe ones?

Cecilia

Message 4 of 7
Square

I'm sorry to hear that reader hasn't worked out for you, @CeciliaWian. We do offer a plug-in chip card Reader. Head to the Square Shop to check it out. 

I do want to point out that it also requires a charge, so unfortunately there is not a way around that with chip readers.

Message 5 of 7

Yay! 

Can I return the other one? 

Message 6 of 7
Square

I'm afraid not if you ordered it when the reader was released. Currently, we offer a 30-day return policy on all hardware purchased directly from us. 

Message 7 of 7