x
Beta Member

What would cause the payments total to be higher than the sales total on the sales summary report?

I am attempting to run a sales summary report for quarterly taxes. The gross/net sales are the same.  The payment total collected is higher by slightly over $1000?

Message 1 of 6
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

@Evan_R I forgot about deposits on Invoices!

Yes, the deposit isn't counted as a sale until you have completed and closed the invoice. The rationale there is that you have the potential to return the deposit if you/your customer cancels the job. Instead of running refunds (Square categorizes your account as a higher risk account if you do a lot of large dollar refunds) you can cancel the invoice without negating the sales.

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Super Seller: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Super Seller

Hello @Evan_R 

The only thing I can think of is Gift Cards. Did you sell any for the quarter?

Gift cards will add to the payments received but not as sales. Sales are recorded when the customer comes back in and buys something with the card. 

Ryan Wanner

Happy Selling!
Message 2 of 6
Beta Member

Nope, have not sold any gift cards. We have had a couple of transactions where deposits were involved- but I wouldnt think that would make the payments higher?

Message 3 of 6
Super Seller

Best Answer

@Evan_R I forgot about deposits on Invoices!

Yes, the deposit isn't counted as a sale until you have completed and closed the invoice. The rationale there is that you have the potential to return the deposit if you/your customer cancels the job. Instead of running refunds (Square categorizes your account as a higher risk account if you do a lot of large dollar refunds) you can cancel the invoice without negating the sales.

Ryan Wanner

Happy Selling!
Message 4 of 6
Beta Member

Thank you! That would make sense. 

Message 5 of 6
Alumni

Good catch with the deposits - love to see this collaboration in the Community! 👐

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 6 of 6