x

Why can't I reach all my customers with Square Marketing?

When I look at my customers in the Square dashboard they are broken down thusly:

All customers - 852

Reachable customers - 212

Added by Square - 741

Added by You - 111

My last square marketing campaign sent 202.  Can you please explain these different customer designations and why I am not able to market to all my customers?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Super Seller Alumni

Are the 111 that you've entered reachable? 

It's my understanding that the ones that Square provides can't be reached by your marketing because those customers never consented to be contacted by you.  Square allows you to track them as a customer, but you're not going to be able to market to them.

I see customers all the time with pre-populated e-mail addresses or cell phone numbers on the receipt screen...but Square doesn't let me see the entire address or phone number.  I can send them receipts because they've done business with me, but that information isn't mine to use for direct marketing purposes.

Message 2 of 4

I understand what you are saying but something still doesn't make sense.  When I send out, say a coupon, it is reaching 202 people.  Where does the extra 91 people come from?  If they weren't added by me then it would stand to reason that they were added by Square.  So what makes these 91 customers different?  My only guess is that these are customers that I emailed a reciept to but did not add a customer profile.  the other customers that I can't reach, that were added by Square, must have been added by a different merchant???  This is just a guess and it would be great to get confirmation from Square.

Square needs to add a check box on the last page of the checkout that would allow us to confirm that the customer will allow marketing.  Once checked, that customer should be added to our reachable customers.  It is very redundent to keep asking customers for thier emails not knowing if they are included in my reachable data base.

Message 3 of 4
Super Seller Alumni

Yeah, I wish I had better answers for you.  I know that if I see a new customer with information like phone number or e-mail address pre-populated, it's because they've done business with another Square Merchant and had provided that info.  Square won't let me have the whole thing because it's not mine...but they'll let me use that info to send out receipts.  I haven't really done much with the marketing module, so I apologize for not being more help.

Message 4 of 4