x

Why can’t I send a message to my client?

Whenever I try to message my clients, it says “SMS messages can be sent as a reply to your customer’s message.” Does anyone know what that is? It’s been there for months and I’ve tried everything! 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Square Community Moderator

Hello there @Emilygrayce thanks for reaching out, I am happy to provide some insight. We made some changes to the Square Messages.  To minimize potential disruptions in the future these communications will now be dependent on your customers starting the conversation by replying to service messages, like a receipt, appointment reminder, or order update, just to name a few. We’re also working to re-enable unrestricted outbound messaging capabilities early next year. I am so sorry for any inconvenience this has caused. Please let me know if you have any questions or reach Customer Support at 1-855-700-6000 squ.re/contactsqsupport and they would be happy to help as well. 

Message 2 of 7

I really hope this isn’t meaning early 2024 because I will be looking for a different service if so. Extremely annoying and all square seems to do is ignore simple ease of use requests that people make. 

Message 3 of 7

Hello there @bDbBVA these changes have already been implemented. Sellers can no longer start conversations with buyers without any conversation history. We know these changes might not work for you and understand you need to do what is best for your business. We are so sorry for the disappointment! Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Message 4 of 7
Beta Member

How does this possibly make since to you guys! Why am i paying for a messaging service and cannot message my clients without them responding to a text receipt first. Who is gonna respond to a text receipt. You guys do everything but what we ask for this is very inconvenient. Obviously if i have my clients number i have permission to text and call them. 

Message 5 of 7
Beta Member

This is so inconvenient and unnecessary to block outgoing messages.  We rely on this for our grooming communication.  I have had to bring in an additional phone line through ATT so I can have a phone in the back so the groomers can text the customers.  This is not only costing me more money but the inconvenience is awful.  I just switched to Square from a grooming application and we NEVER had to get consent to text our clients.  They rely on the communication!

Message 6 of 7

Hello there @dnw 

I can understand your frustration and how this change affects your business. Our team is working hard and looking for ways to bring outgoing messages back. Stay tuned for updates!

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 7 of 7