x
Beta Member

feature request - variable weight barcode

I've searched through lots of older threads with people looking for variable weight barcode support but haven't seen any updates lately.

Is there any chance this is on the horizon?

We have lots of items that we precut and label with a price (meats, cheeses, etc). Weighing them at the time of checkout wont work, because there is no way to tare the container weight, or if item has brine added after weighing (feta or olives) etc.

We have played around with changing the format of our scale's label printer so that it will print a regular barcode that we can scan, then manually enter the weight by reading it off the sticker, but we sell hundreds of items a day that are weighed this way and the chance for human error is significant, and is considerably slower than just scanning. 

The variable weight barcode is formatted as follows 2PPPPPxCCCCCz (P=PLU C=Price z=check digit),

If the barcode begins with a 2, take digits two through six, look up that PLU, divide price per pound in the system by the price of the package (digits eight through twelve) and fill in the weight prompt automatically

Any possibility of this happening?

Thanks

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Beta Member

Is there somewhere else i should post this or some other place i can follow up to see if this feature would become available?

Message 2 of 2