x

Alt Text for Header Images

Hello Denizens of Weebly,

I understand that currently it is not possible to add alt text to header images so that the images will be picked up in search. As being able to add text might help visibility in search, does Weebly have any plans to add this functionality with respect to header images? If not, please consider this a request! Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Gavin

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Hi, Gavin!

You know, I haven't heard of plans to integrate this, but I recommend heading over to our Vote on Features section to voice your idea: https://community.weebly.com/t5/Vote-on-Features/idb-p/IdeaExchange

Thanks, and enjoy your day!

Erin

Weebly Community Manager

Message 2 of 9

any word on this?  would be a great feature for those of us customers who are seeking the highest search engine visibility possible.

thanks!

Message 2 of 9

Any word on this? We are undergoing a web site accessibility audit and the audit states that I need alt text for my headers. 

Message 2 of 9
Square

I don't believe this has been added yet, @Jbayless. I think header images are added via CSS so there isn't an image tag to add an ALT attribute to.

Message 2 of 9

Adding alt text to header images is a requirement for the Americans with Disabilities Act. Not having it could mean a lawsuit for the small business or non profit who admins the website. We either need a tutorial on how to add alt text specifically to each page's header CSS code, or have Weebly incorporate alt="" directly into all header codes (and stock background images too) to indicate a decorative image. This would help us greatly! I use Weebly drag and drop builder specifically because I don't have the time to figure out where, or how, to change HTML & CSS codes.

Message 2 of 9

Any update on this at all? The accessibility of websites by all users including blind or partially blind is a stipulation for all businesses moving forward so please Weebly  provide an update to this.

Thanks

Message 2 of 9

Hey everyone,

I would also like to inquire if there's any progress on adding alt-text capabilities for header images. My current header image has text in it - which I would love to put an alt-text in to describe it for people who are visually impaired. 

It's here if anyone's curious - https://www.nicolloabe.com/sims-4-builds.html 

Thanks! 

Message 2 of 9

I don't even know why I bother with Weebly. The tool I use to assess my SEO tells me for each page with a header that the alt text for that impage is missing. This is affecting my SEO rate. Also, Weebly doesn't have a way to designate a header as H1 and marks all headers as H2. This is huge problem when it comes to SEO. There's a free add-on tool you can use, but it's not really what is needed. So after all of this and after comparing Weebly to other similar services, I'm just going to moove away from this. And don't get me started on their horrible customer service. If you don't bash them on Twitter, you'll never hear back from them. It was once a great service. Once!

Message 9 of 9