x

Alt Text on Product Images

I can't seem to find any posts on this topic and that surprises me because alt text on product images would be incredibly useful for selling and I can not seem to figure out how to add it. Is this something that will be added in the future?

Message 1 of 39
38 REPLIES 38

Message 2 of 39

This link does give brief instructions for how to add alt text to a regular image but the advanced options are not available for the product images on my product pages...my site can't be the only one with this issue. Usually when you click on an image, the options show up in a little white box and within the white box at the bottom of the list is where you find the advanced options....I add Alt text to all my images with this feature. However when you clik on the image on a product listing, the white box does not show up and instead the image zooms in. The advanced options...or any options for that matter.....do not seem to be available for product images.

Message 2 of 39

Yes, I have the same issue and I don't know how to fix it. Weebly's e-commerce websites need to have better SEO options!

Message 2 of 39

Yes, Me TOO!

My understanding is that "Alt text" is what helps google identifiy picture contents.

I noticed that there is no "Alt Text" for videos either....big disappoinment!

I lost my product pictures that appeared on the first page of google searches when I

switched from my old website to my new weebly store

I may have to use an alternative to weebly if I want to sell products! 

Message 2 of 39

you can SEO the heck out of videos---if you upload them to you tube or vimeo..

you tube dashboard will give you 1000 areas to seo your video---you can click on the "wheel icon" on the lower right corner of the video--and the options are endless---seo---embedding codes---all you need. Lisa
Message 2 of 39

Hi, I noticed posts dating to 2016 about Weebly not allowing us to add Alt-Text or Alt-Tag to Product Images on E-Commerce websites.  This problem still exists. Is anything being done to fix this ?  Each time I run a SEO analysis for my E-Commerce website, one of the red flags I get is the missing Alt-Tag to Product Images.

Next, if I store a copies of my website (using the three Dots on the right side of dashboard) as I make major changes and want to be able to retrieve earlier versions as needed,  is there a way to attach a Date of storage to each copy ?  Currently, I have three copies stored, but can't tell which one was stored when . Thanks.

Message 2 of 39
Square

I would change the site title of each copy to include the date, that way you know which is which. If you give them unique names now, I might be able to find out when each was created for you, though.

Message 2 of 39

just name your pic file with keywords-but don't use underscores- use dashes
Message 9 of 39

Hi

Yes it would be good to have Alt Text on Product Images.  To try to get round this a bit for SEO purposes, I created sepatete standard pages that feature a certain product Category.  Then uploaded some product pictures, and added the Alt Text on the images and links to the products (or Categories if need be).

I have just started doing this, and will do it as much as I can for all my categories I think......

Example: http://www.empireamulets.com/viking-jewelry.html

Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 39

Good workaround, nice one thanks for the tip. Gonna give it a go Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 39

There may be work-arounds for SEO (pain though they are) but there are NO work-arounds for adding alt text for screen readers.  Our site gets evaludated by the Dept of Human Services for accessibility, we may not be able to continue to use weebly if this isn't fixed.  We've already had to quit using any galleries or slide shows because of this.  And I've had to go in and add specific code on each separate type of page (landing, tall header, short header, etc) in the theme css to put my logo in the header with an alt tag.  Frustrating!

Message 12 of 39

The only way we have been able a way around this is to go to the product page and add another picture using the build function. It does put this picture under the cart but you can add alt tags to it if you do it that way. Basically you will have the normal pictures at the top of the page and then another picture at the bottom of the page. Not ideal but it does work.

Message 13 of 39

Great idea. I was able to do it to two of my products, and now I can't do it at all. This site is becoming increasingly difficult to work with.

Message 13 of 39

I completely agree, this is quite important and should be a feature for consideration by the dev team ASAP!

Message 13 of 39

Hey there! Don't forget to stop by the Vote on Features page as well, to add your vote.

Message 13 of 39

Crazy that this hasn't been addressed yet... Surely it's an easy fix for the Weebly Developers seeing as they've adopted the premise to galleries, slideshows etc?

@Queso - any suggestions?!

Message 13 of 39

Hi @DC2,

At this time we haven't had any movement on the alt-text on product images. I will certainly pass feedback about this on to our developers though. Sorry for the delay! 

Message 13 of 39

how long until this alt text on product images takes place? very stressful not being able to correct my site issues
Message 13 of 39

Hi @PuffinPotent,

At this time we don't have a valid ETA on when this will be implemented. I will pass on the feedback up the chain of command. 

Message 13 of 39

@MTpockets

Has anything been done about this as yet? Surely I don't have to advise you that by not allowing customers to add ALT text to pictures, you're actually breaching the Equality Act 2010 (certainly in the UK at any rate). The Equality Act stipulates that all websites should be accessible to all users. Currently each picture within the product pages cannot be described using a speech browser. You are leaving your customers open to law suits - it's really that serious.

Please can you esculate this to your Tier One team?

Message 13 of 39