x

Canonical Tags for store

Hi, 

According to Search Console, we have all the pages of the store blocked by the search engines, for not having "canonical labels", says that the content is duplicated. So, we need to know how to put "canonical label" on the pages of our site, so that it can be indexed correctly. Thanks for your help. Smiley Sad

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Square

Can you get a screenshot of what you are seeing in Google's search console? The only thing you could do with a Weebly site to block that is to enable the option to block indexing. I'm curious to see what they are telling you, exactly.

Message 2 of 12

Here are the screenshots, I hope you can help me. Thank you

Message 2 of 12
Square

Hmm...

Interestingly, it looks like your pages are being indexed just fine (including products):

Those links in the screenshots look like they could be some kind of generated links from product options, maybe?

Message 2 of 12

Yes, it is generating the products as duplicates for lack of Canonical Tags, I want to know how to remove that problem from the store and also Search Console indicates duplication in the meta descriptions.image

Message 2 of 12
Square

We do add a canonical tag to every page (you can see it in the header area of the code on any page), although the URL in it might just be your root site address. I'm not sure why it's saying there's duplicate content, although when you visit any of those links it will remove the .html from the end. That's a forward, though, so Google shoud just follow those.

Message 2 of 12

My site has also had at least half of the store products removed from the Google index, and the reason Google gives is that they are duplicate content, and not canonical. This happened beginning on July 15th, continuing through August 1st, as part of the recent huge Google algorithm update.  Information abut this update is all over the web, so I am assuming Weebly techs know about it.  The store products have names similar to non-store pages, because my site is providing information, as well as related product resources, to teachers.  

I need to have these store products returned to the Google index, in order to be able to market the products.  They are not duplicate pages, but Google is assuming they are because of similar keywords. I advise others with store products to check the changes in their Google Console around July 15th.

Message 2 of 12

I've got the same problem. I have 8 products, for which I made pages, so I could put them in my menu and use a carousel at the bottom. The problem is that the store just pipes in uneditable product description text into a product page, which creates duplicate content- now I have one product page and one store page, with slightly different URLs, and weebly has it set up to redirect the product page to the store page, but both are showing in my sitemap, and the august google update caused the store page (the more important one) to delist. I wanted to try hiding the product page from the search engines, but weebly doesn't have that option available for product pages, so I'm stuck. Can you add the SEO options for a product page so I can hide the page from the search engines? This will remove it from the sitemap and tell google that the store page is the main one. Otherwise, I need a way to edit my own robots.txt file or edit the text on the product page to make it non-duplicate content. Looking forward to your input. 

Message 2 of 12
Square

Can you provide a link to both types of pages, @technicalcat? I think it'll help to see how your site is set up.

Message 2 of 12

Here's the one listed in the menu: https://www.marijuanapropagation.com/business-plan-template.html

And here's the one it redirects to: https://www.marijuanapropagation.com/store/p15/Cannabis_Business_Plan_Template.html

Google is listing only the first one, but I'd rather it be the second and not have duplicate content and have both show in the sitemap. The second link is the one that has the structured markup and shows the price in the SERPs, plus Google appears to be penalizing the listed page. I've gone down the bottom of page 1 on all of my product listings that have associated pages since August, where I was #1 for all of them before. No new competition could have caused that. 

Message 2 of 12

Hello, years later I still have this problem. Can you add SEO options to the product pages so we can make them canonical? 

Message 2 of 12

Same question. Can somebody answer? 

Message 2 of 12