x

Duplicate Content Problem

I have a free Weebly blog which I'm trying to optimize the SEO settings for. Currently my homepage content can be accessed from at least 3 different URL's: i.e, the default homepage url, the /index.html extension and the post permalink.

Is there anything that can be done to solve this issue?

Also, is it possible to have a static homepage instead of a blog?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Hello @jrcollins !

I don't imagine that having multiple ways to access the home page would negatively impact your SEO.  Regardless, the post permalink should be a link to an individual post rather than to the full home page, even if it's a blog page.  The main blog page would be a summary of recent posts rather than an individual post URL.  If you wish to have your home page be a Standard Page rather than a Blog Page, you can go to the PAGES tab and create a new Standard Page and then drag it to the top of the list.  Whichever page is at the top of the list to the left will become your new home page.

Message 2 of 14

Ok, thank you for the advice. I wish I had known about reordering pages to set the homepage. The problem was that I have only one post which I want to show in full on the homepage so the homepage and the post permalink show exactly the same content. I'm surprised that you think that duplicate content is not an issue with regards to SEO. It is according to Google.

Message 2 of 14

Hi,

Our online marketing consultants also warned us about the duplicate content that was found in the blog pages. It seems that Weebly provides several URL's for one piece of content. We were told that Google cannot handle this very well.

So, I'am also surprised by Weebly's answer to your question. Hopefully they will give an extra explanation.

Regards

Chiel

Message 2 of 14

I have an issue with weebly duplicating the URL's for blogs with the direct url, then Category then archive.  these show up as duplicate page titles when I run an SEO reprot viag Market goo. Is there any way to get rid of them?

Message 2 of 14

I also have a problem with this for my blog pages SEM rush state that there are 16 pages with duplicate content! and its all my blog pages, how can this be fixed?

Weebly?

Message 2 of 14

Has anyone from Weebly responded to you? Having the same issue...

Message 2 of 14
Square

I'm very sorry all. This post didn't pop up in our queue. Smiley Sad What is the url of the page that is duplicating content? Is it always blog elements or standard Weebly pages? 

Message 2 of 14

Has this issue been solved yet?

Message 2 of 14

this problem is since 2018 and still dealing with duplicates now in 2021, not very fast working at Weebly to solve the problems apparently 

Message 2 of 14

I am also having problems with the duplicate content issue.... Weebly do you have any advice?

Message 11 of 14

I am also havign the same issues duplicate content with the main url and the index.html.

Weebly can you help us fixing this error:

www.yourdomain.com

www.yourdomain.com/index.html

that two url have the same content and can be access normally. isn't our domain main would be the homepage and no longer need to have another index.html page?

weird though.

Message 12 of 14
Square

@whitemonkey, have you had any issues like that with Google Search Console? If you have, did you do anything to resolve it or was it something you found didn't really cause much of an issue.

Message 12 of 14

@Adam 

i try to ignore the  /index.html issues in the same way that GSC doesnt like to index Weeblys category pages

but best to add the canonical code to the HEADER on each page  . in the case of HOME page  which is also the /index.html (?????) mine is 

<link rel="canonical" href="https://www.nomadicbackpacker.com">

unsure if i am doing the best practice   or not...

and on another point  the Neil Patel error report says that title tags being too long is a MEDIUM SEO issue  BUT when your check the page title on MOZ, it says it is not an issue  as different browsers chop and change what is displayed on the results on google   

it remains a mystery....  i follow SEOserachengine on twitter and even trying to make sense of what John Muller is going on about , as he uses the word  'could' quite a lot  ... as if he is affraid to reveal the true answer...

Message 12 of 14