x

Enable gzip compression?

Hey!
Please enable compress pages weebly. I keep getting information that the lack of GZIP compression reduces the value of my hand.

Message 1 of 16
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

Thanks for the suggestion! GZIP Compression can sometimes have a slight performance improvement, although not enough that most people would be able to tell the difference.  If you'd like us to add that, though, feel free to post it on our Vote on Features board here:

https://community.weebly.com/t5/Vote-on-Features/idb-p/IdeaExchange

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Square

Best Answer

Thanks for the suggestion! GZIP Compression can sometimes have a slight performance improvement, although not enough that most people would be able to tell the difference.  If you'd like us to add that, though, feel free to post it on our Vote on Features board here:

https://community.weebly.com/t5/Vote-on-Features/idb-p/IdeaExchange

Message 2 of 16

Solved? Nothing! 

Message 2 of 16

Hello kemengr! The Solved tag is something the orginal poster of the thread usually places, so it's usually up to them. If you have any other questions on a thread, though, feel free to jump in, and we'll be glad to lend a hand!

Message 2 of 16

I've read the previous blog posts by you guys about, "The page will load quickly for people (paraphrased)." That's great and all but Google doesn't ask the people who visit our sites their opinion on the speed. They use these tests and they look for browser caching and GZIP to a high degree and are a heavy part of the Google PageSpeed Tools which affects rankings to a degree. You are making all of us fail this test. Makes me think that I should consider migrating in the future if you can't satiate a demand for something that is universally regarded as a good thing for a site as it uses less data on a person's cell phone's data plan. - especially if they visit your site often.

Message 2 of 16

Enabling Gzip and the ability to minify js are becoming mandatory....

Message 2 of 16

Google is giving me the same feedback ...poorly optimised... despite the fact that all of my uploads are of a reasonable size, the lack of compression offered by Weebly is becoming crippling... why should we fall below the line because of our host?

Is there any hope of this being solved in the future???
Message 2 of 16
Square

While enabling compression could cause the site load a little faster, it's not something mandatory and isn't likely to be enough of a change that visitors would probably notice. 

Message 2 of 16

kinda late to the party but it is still is more then just a "will the page load slightly faster for certain people" this can significantly hurt a sites score on these tests. which effects ranking aswell as a sites value aswell if an owner decides to for example sell their company. that aswell its kinda a easy thing to fix and should be used from the start anyways. it may seem minor but it is very very important.

and with a webhost who has a good many sites hosted this would not only help the individule sites but save you a major amount of bandwidth, as well as disk space. gzip can reduce stuff to only 1/5 of its size sometimes

Message 2 of 16

Hi Adam

Just checking in with you!

Was this noted that it will not be done ? or is it on the list of feature to be impletement some time in the future?

Thanks

Message 2 of 16
Square

Looks like this is still a New Idea. If you haven't already added your support to this can you please do so? We can make sure to pass the information along that our users are still requesting it. Smiley Happy

https://community.weebly.com/t5/Vote-on-Features/Enable-GZIP-Compression/idi-p/53409

Message 2 of 16

We want goddam google scores to improve not visitor experience
Message 2 of 16

Agreed, Weebly needs to be competitive with other platforms and enable features that google is recommending to us. If Weebly cant stay up to date, then I might have to consider moving my website somewhere else. 

Message 2 of 16

That's such a cop-out. There's a known and recommended solution-at least partial to slow uploads and poor optimization scores, and you say it's not that important? You realize how bad that makes you look, right? Kind of like if I pay $3.00 a month, I CAN ADD HEADINGS! Are you serious?
Message 2 of 16

Found a way to minify js. Use gtmetrix.com to analyze the site and it will tell you the exact javascript files to minify and will create the code for you! You can then find those javascript files in the Weebly code via "Theme > Edit HTML/CSS" and replace the code with your minifyied code.

Beware: KEEP A BACKUP OF THE ORIGINAL CODE in case you mess something up. 

Message 2 of 16
Square

I would also recommend re-doing this periodically so that you have the most updated code from us. Thanks for sharing, @DK12!

Message 2 of 16