x

FTP access?

I am needing FTP access to upload a .txt file to the root domain folder. This file is directly from Google and must be implemented. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

RM

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

@popcorndelights wrote:

I am needing FTP access to upload a .txt file to the root domain folder. This file is directly from Google and must be implemented. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

RM

Hi, If its about your google web masters account, well you could just upload a tag to your header at settings. Anyways, if you would like to upload the file, try to upload your file by going to  "Edit HTML/CSS" >> Upload your file to assets >> Save the theme >> Publish the website.

Since, weebly doesn't really give you full access to your weebly website.

And you can also access the file by simple go to: yourweeblywebsite.weebly/files/theme/yourfile.txt

-Francis Revilla

Freelancer at RevillaDesigns

Message 2 of 11

@FrancisRevilla when you are trying to access a file you uploaded do you literally put  "files/theme/yourfile.txt" obviously I know you don't put "yourfile" but do you just put files/theme? or do you put the theme you are using? Also, I am trying to access a .json file. Would you just put .json at the end instead of .txt if you are trying to access that type of file?

Message 2 of 11
Square

HI @Collin_S. This thread is a bit old, can you explain what you are trying to do? Thanks!

Message 2 of 11

@popcorndelights,

@FrancisRevilla is absolutely correct! Here are more details and photos of each step in Google Webmaster Tools to get the code you need with the alternate method recommended by Weebly:

http://hc.weebly.com/hc/en-us/articles/201723433-Verify-Site-with-Search-Engines

Message 2 of 11

Nope, has nothing to do with Google Webmaster Tools/Search Console. That part is easy Smiley Wink

The owner of the site, nor former developer know who has the admin rights to Google Analytics account that is on the site. Without creating a new analytics tracking code/new account, we want access to current and previous data, and Google can give us "backdoor" access to the Google Account that is tied to the Analytics. To do this, we must place the file Google created for us in the root domain folder. I have done this process many, many times, just never on Weebly.

Anything anywhere that can access the root domain folder in Weebly?

Thanks,

RM

Message 2 of 11

@popcorndelights,

My answer for you would be very similar to my advice regarding Google Search Console. We are going to direct you towards the alternate method, getting an HTML tag to paste in the footer.

Please review these details and let me know if you have any other questions: Smiley Happy
https://hc.weebly.com/hc/en-us/articles/201979698-Google-Analytics

Message 2 of 11

We do not have access to the current Google Analytics Account that is on the website, therefore we cannot enter Search Console or add html tag into header...with the account tied to it.

The file Google gave us, will give us access to the account tied to the Analytics....to set up Search Console, etc.

Message 2 of 11

That option is not going to be available, @popcorndelights, I'm sorry for the inconvenience. I would advise you contact Google Support to arrange for the HTML tag to post in your header instead.

Message 2 of 11

Frankly, I find it completely absurd that Weebly (a site that purports to be in existence for ~10 years now) does NOT allow 'free loaders' (free site users if you prefer) OR business (*premium* paying customers) to FTP their own web site changes [that may or may not already have been created in the near or distant past] to their own FTP spaces. It is absolutely ridiculous, IMHO.

I was just asked today to 'consider' upgrading to a 'business' (read: paying) account here, but there is no way in hell I will do so without FTP access!

::: stepping down from soapbox :::

Message 2 of 11

Agree.  Been trying to find out how to do this and ended up here.  Can't believe as a paying member I don't have FTP access.  Certainly a first for me and will likely make me look at alternatives when my subscribtion runs out.  I'm paying for the hosting space, I should have access.  

Message 2 of 11