x

How do you make a sitemap?

Do I need to make a link in my footer that goes to the sitemap url generated by Weebly? 

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
Square

Your sitemap is automatically generated by us when you publish your site, so you don't need to do anything special to have one created.  The address of your sitemap will be something like mysite.com/sitemap.xml.

Message 2 of 24

Thanks Adam! But do I need to make a page that links to the sitemap and put that link in the footer? I've seen some websites that have a direct link to the sitemap. 

Message 2 of 24
Square

I don't think there's any reason to do that unless you want to. Since it's an XML file for use by search engines it might not display the way people would expect depending on what browser they're using.

Message 2 of 24

Hi @rbernard1004. I think what @Adam is saying is that an .XML file is not supported in terms of formatting on browsers. 

Can I suggest making a clean looking sitemap page and adding your site's content to it, and then link to that?

There are sites around that will generate a 'pretty' version of your sitemap. For example: https://dynomapper.com

I've never used it so I don't know if it's a you're after, but a Google search for "sitemap.xml to visual" or similar might help.

Best of luck,

Message 2 of 24

Do starter plans have an automatic sitemap?  I'm getting a 404 error message...

Message 2 of 24
Square

Hey @compass Smiley Happy

The answer below your post is a great explanation. But, it would be yoursite.com/sitemap.xml

Message 2 of 24

I am trying to get google console to verify my website sitemap by adding sitemap.xml to my domain name, but it keeps giving me an error. Any suggestions for a fix?

Message 2 of 24
Square

What is the address of the website you are using with that, @epresence?

Message 2 of 24

huddlespace.biz

Message 2 of 24
Square

Can you please also clarify the error you see? It would also be helpful if you can post a screenshot. Smiley Happy

We also have this guide that might help give you some direction. 

Message 2 of 24

Where can I find my sitemap address?

Message 2 of 24

You say Weebly automatically adds a sitemap, however when you look at google console no sitemaps are attached?
Message 13 of 24

Hi

If your website was "www.websiteandapps.com" then your sitemap would be hosted at "www.websiteandapps.com/sitemap.xml"

In the google console (in google webmasters) go to your console > Crawl > sitemaps > click the button add/test sitemap > in the box that pops up it should have your domain in there with a field after the / Just add in sitemaps.xml (see screenshot below)

you can test it from here to ensure it's the correct path, and once it tests successfully you can submit... this will submit your sitemap to google... I believe google would find it eventually but without prompting it can take some time for google's robots to just find your site baring in mind there are billions of sites on the net Smiley Happy

Let me know if this helps.

Message 13 of 24

Thanks that worked sitemap.xml

imageSmiley Happy

Tags (3)
Message 13 of 24

Hi, I'm having trouble with my site map, i have followed the directions on entering it in google as sitemap.xml but it still does not work and it's saying errors coming up on all my pages. i have no idea why this keeps happening. thank you or any one for help with this
Message 13 of 24
Square

What errors is it giving you, @lilbit?

Message 13 of 24

It says erros and now it's still saying pending.. I have attached a screen shot for you to look at image

Message 13 of 24
Square

That looks like it found the sitemap just fine and it will be indexed properly, they just haven't done it yet.

Message 13 of 24

studio

Message 13 of 24

Hi @121,

The sitemap should be created automatically, you can access it by adding /sitemap.xml to the end of your website URL 

Message 13 of 24