x

No H1 Tags in Weebly

I am really frustrated with Weebly.  I'm not a HTML coder, and that is why I chose a drag and drop platform. I figured that this IS a platform which is put togther so "non-techies" can start a site for their business and have it searched/run properly. 

I've been having problems with my sight being found for a long time, and now just found that Weebly does NOT have H1 Tags in their platform; only H2.  WHAT!!! Everything I've been reading about SEO states "the most important thing is to have a relevant H1 Tag on every page, and to have relevent page copy (I'm simplifying).  

So, I found that Weebly offers an H1 App and I take the time to install that. I added an H1 to each of my pages, even though that's frustrating because the app does not allow a choice of fonts, and every aspect has to be modified. So, now I have H1 tags but they DON'T match my template style fonts!  WHAT!?!?   

Now I talk with Weebly (after 40 minutes in the que) and they say the app is a 3rd Party and I have to email the developer. WHAT?!?!   Further, Weebly has no plans to add an H1 to the platform, and I can't modify an H2 to an H1 because that has to be done "in the Template"!!!!  

No where on their platform or in their SEO documents have I found that they disclose this.... It may be time to look at a different platform.  

Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30
Square

Sorry to hear about your experience, @MNInspect. Is this app by @ThemezierThemes you're using?

https://www.weebly.com/app-center/h1-tag?ref=ac-search

If you click on it, it should have some styling controls to make it look different. If that isn't working or doesn't include something, I'm sure WeeblyTricks can help.

Message 2 of 31

Thanks Adam, it is the only app that is available and I looked; it is from Weeblytricks...  It does allow you to increase weight, size and color, that's all.  If it was a true solution, it would have all the Weebly fonts.  The bigger concern is why Weebly isn't changing either changing their program or building their own app to allow selection of H1, H2, etc...

I was told by customer service that it is a 3rd Party app, and not from Weebly.  And why the customer service is downplaying the importance of the H1 Tag.  I'll bet there are many other site owners who are not getting great search results, and aware of this, as I wasn't.

Message 2 of 31
Square

The importance of H1 tags has decreased quite a bit over the years (similarly to meta keywords). Search engines these days are significantly more intelligent in how they scrape and understand the content of your page, so they aren't that reliant on what you have in H1 tags as long as it's relevant to the rest of the content on your page. If you have quality content on your page and complimentary meta descriptions, your content will get indexed appropriately.

Message 2 of 31

Well, even though it has changed significantly, all the information that it available still says H1 is still one of (if not THE) most important aspect of the web page...

All I can say is that I've had Weebly for 2 years, and I did the titles and such, and Google webmaster has little or no activity prior to me really digging into the SEO problems. Even now, when I put my website into Google only one page is seen - the home page.

Contrary to this, my wife started a business this year and launched her website a few months ago on Squarespace, and when I type in her website into Google the entire search results is nothing but her pages (10 pages!!) 

Yes, my wife may be better at this than me; but I can't immagine that I'm "that bad". 

Like I've said, I'm just really frustrated.

Message 2 of 31

I'm sorry! I've also found SEO frustrating at times. We do really appreciate your feedback, and I've passed it along to the team internally.

Not to play devil's advocate here, but could it also be the difference in business subjects? Perhaps your wife's business is in an area where the keywords/market is less saturated?

Thanks, and enjoy your day.

Erin

Weebly Community Manager

Message 2 of 31

Search engines crawl for relevance then popularity. Search engines scan page content, page title, page description, and h1 tags for relevant keywords to determine if it's relevant to the keywords being searched.

Google also looks at time spent on the page, bounce rate, length of post...

You could have a high domain authority/page authority (quality external links), but if Google deems another page to be more relevant they'll show the other guys higher on the SERPs.

H1 tags should be available to edit for relevance's sake.

Message 2 of 31

You give no consideration to ADA compliance standards in your response regarding the use of H1 and the other levels of heading tags. Being able to specify the various heading levels to help an end user who's using a screen reader understand the organization of the page into various sections and subsections is essential for meeting ADA compliance. Come on, Weebly can do better!!!

Message 2 of 31

Why does Weebly's homepage use an H1 tag?

imageH1 tag on Weebly's Homepage

Message 2 of 31

Wordpress does it OK. Much more configurable.

Message 10 of 31

After a long search I decided to try a work around and put in the following HTML code at the top of the body text through embed-code. This code leads to a small, completely transparant header. My website is grey/black, so I chose black as color (256,256,256) with high transparancy (10). 

<h1 style="text-align:left;font-size:8px;color: rgba(256,256,256,10) >Header text</h1>

It seems to work...

Are there any con's as far as anyone knows?

Message 11 of 31
Square

It looks like you're missing a double quote after the style property, @Marjo, although otherwise everythign looks fine with that.

Message 11 of 31

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEASE! Just give us a H1 element! No excuses, no misinformation about it not being important anymore. We want and need it, it's basic SEO!!!

Please, just do it!
Message 11 of 31

I wonder why the weebly.com com website ITSELF uses <h1> tags, yet tries to get away with explaning to us such tags aren't important. Laughable and discraceful.

Message 11 of 31

I'm just now getting ready to pull the trigger for the first of 5 sites on Weebly. No H1 is a killer.
Message 11 of 31
Square

There should be an H1 app in the App Center that you can use, and it's free:

https://www.weebly.com/app-center/search/h1

Message 11 of 31

yes- thanks but we already had the option from the third pary app to add h1.

now problem is that is drops down from the header of the theme where we need to add h1.

cant add h1 to the text at the begining of the theme, cant add the app there

theme light - so the head has image then text next to it, cant add the app there

why dosent it just start out with h1? not even blog posts headline start out with h1

Message 11 of 31

I install the app but for the life of me I do not know where it was installed.

I don't understand why simple things are so hard to do.

I looked for hpours, there is no app center.. uuuugh

Message 11 of 31
Square

Sorry for the troubles, SRgawsdvS It looks like you are using our newest editor that does not utilize apps from the App Center. Apologies for any confusion. 

Message 11 of 31

I cant get it to download and I have reached out to support a few times, in Chat it times out because no one gets back to me in time and I call and never get a answer. 

Message 11 of 31
Square

What are you trying to download, @KrazyMoms?

Message 11 of 31