x

Non-clickable menu appearing as pages in Google Search

Hi Weebly folks,

I've taken over administering the site for my boys' soccer club and I've created some non-clickable menus and added pages below those menus which is all great.  However, those non-clickable menus are appearing in the Google search results as pages which, when clicked on, are blank.  This isn't really very good for the club's online image.

Most of the other page types allow you to make them non-visible to search engines.  How do I explicitly mark these non-clickable menu items that appear as blank pages when the site is published as non-visible to search engines?

Your assistance in this matter is greatly appreciated!

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19

Hey there! Sorry for the trouble.

I can't say I've seen this before, but we don't have SEO options on the Page options for the non-clickable pages (as blank pages generally don't do much by way of SEO, and ought to drop like a rock in any indexing).

I'm going to check into this a bit further. To be on the safe side, go ahead and bring this up in the Feature Vote page if you like, as well, as there isn't an explicit option to hide the individual page from indexing in place, and that could be a useful option in other circumstances as well.

Message 2 of 20

Thanks for your response.  I've done as suggested and have posted an idea.  I look forward to the outcome of your investigation.

Message 2 of 20

Hi,

This has been a problem for the site I manage for my local choral society, too.  I have had to dispense with the two non-clickable menus (hopefully only temporarily) on the site, because both of them were appearing in the indexed list in the Google search results, but when clicked on they went to the theme's default page - which has no information on it, of course.

Can you tell us what progress has been made to deal with the problem, and when it will be fixed, please?

Admin.WCS

Message 2 of 20
Square

There was a brief period of time when non-clickable pages were created differently in the editor (with a checkbox instead of choosing it as type of page).  Did you make yours like that? I'd recommend removing these and making new non-clickable page replacements, then re-publishing.

One other thing you can do is add 301 redirects for the "urls" of those non-clickable pages, and have them forward people to the homepage or other page of your site.

http://hc.weebly.com/hc/en-us/articles/201723883-How-to-301-Redirect-an-Old-Page-to-a-New-Weebly-Pag...

Message 2 of 20

Hi Adam,

No - I created them by choosing them as a type of page.

AdminWCS

Message 2 of 20
Square

Ok, thanks for clarifying.  I'll see what I can do about it from our end.

Message 2 of 20

Hi Adam,

I've tried this.  I create the redirects, save, and exit out of the SEO settings page, publish the site and then when I go to check the redirects are working it continues to take me to the original pages, not back to Home like it should.  I go back into the SEO settings page again and the redirects that I setup and saved are not there.

Message 2 of 20
Square

We're working on some changes on our end to prevent non-clickable menu items from being indexed by Google. I don't have an ETA on when these changes will be completed, but it likely won't require you to do anything special other than re-publish your site.

Message 2 of 20

I just discovered the same problem when I did a Google search for my company. As a new business, I don't have a lot of traffic to my site as of yet, and this blank page is coming up before my other content pages. As the previous poster mentioned, this looks very unprofessional. Has any more progress been made on fixing this glitch?

Thank you, Weebly.

Nicole

Message 2 of 20

Hi Nicole,

I haven't heard anything further on the fix for this.

I have attempted to hide the URLs via the Google Search Console in Webmasters to see if that provides some relief.

The 301 redirects for those two pages don't hold in the SEO settings within Weebly, so if people click on them they don't go back to the home page like has been suggested.

Message 2 of 20

Hi - I'm having the same issue. he pages were created correctly but now they are going to a blank holding page with the coffee cup image. However, if you subsequently click on any link with the website, all the correct content appears. My choir are understandably upset with me as this is not looking good for us. Any idea what I can do in the meantime?

Candy

Message 2 of 20
Square

We fixed the issue that caused this to happen in the first place, although we'd recommend setting up 301 redirects for any of them that are still showing in search results:

http://hc.weebly.com/hc/en-us/articles/201723883-How-to-301-Redirect-an-Old-Page-to-a-New-Weebly-Pag...

That should make sure people don't see a blank page. Google should eventually update its index of your site, so those pages will no longer be returned in search results after that happens.

Message 2 of 20

Hi Adam,

I've tried the 301 redirects previously and they do not hold for those pages.  All the other 301s I've setup seem to hold, but these particular ones keep being deleted.  I've actually set those pages up in Google Search Console to be removed so they don't appear.

What is the change you've made and how has it been implemented?

Message 2 of 20
Square

The change was to prevent navigation menu items from ever being indexed by Google or other search engines. Once Google removes them from search for you they shouldn't show back up.

Message 2 of 20

Does that mean they should appear in the Robots.txt file now?

Message 2 of 20
Square

I'm not sure offhand what method our engineers used to fix it, since there's a few different ways to code it so it's not seen as a page by Google.

Message 2 of 20

I'll remove the Google Search Console block I've applied to the two pages and I'll feed back whether they re-appear in the Google searches in a couple of days time

Message 2 of 20

Hi - I have been trying for some considerable months now to fix 301's away from my non-clickable pages to no avail. I still get these pages in a google search and we are loosing supporters because of this. Is there any news on when this will be fixed? I manage the choir website http://www.newcambridgesingers.org.uk/

Candy

Message 2 of 20
Square

It can take a little while for Google to update search results. Have you set up your site with Google Webmaster Tools? They have a fetch-as-google option which might help:

https://www.weebly.com/seo/search-console

Message 2 of 20