x

Page speed insights help

After running the google page speed insights, and the think with google page speed tester, and there were quite a few things listed for me to improve on such as

Eliminate render-blocking JavaScript and CSS in above-the-fold content

Your page has 9 blocking script resources and 9 blocking CSS resources. This causes a delay in rendering your page.

Leverage browser caching

Setting an expiry date or a maximum age in the HTTP headers for static resources instructs the browser to load previously downloaded resources from local disk rather than over the network.

Minify JavaScript

Compacting JavaScript code can save many bytes of data and speed up downloading, parsing, and execution time.

Optimize images

Properly formatting and compressing images can save many bytes of data.

I've optimised the images however it shows me that there are some images to optimize that I dont know even know how to access on my site. As for the rest of the issues to correct I dont know where to go to correct these. My site performs very fast, But I still want these stats higher for their SEO value.

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Square

The suggestions above are a standard set of suggestions that Google will provide for pretty much any site built through a system like Weebly. You could enter almost any site into it and it'll give out at least one, if not all of those.

It's unfortunately not possible to do those with your site, although I don't think you'd notice any kind of real-world impact in speed. There's also no SEO impact from those changes since they're all performance related, so your SEO should be fine without doing those.

Message 2 of 17

I agree those are just suggestions and at the most they will improve your site speed by fractions of a mili second, which are not even worth bothering. Weebly sites are already optimized to be fast, those changes will not help you. You can ignore those. 

Message 2 of 17

Do you work for Weebly?  Page load speed is a factor in Google's page ranking system.  That's why they're making the suggestions in the first place.  If Weebly would spend as much time adding functionality as it does avoiding it, this would already be fixed.

Message 2 of 17

I have a problem with a page that renders very slowly.  It is all text and a handful of links.  

See what I mean at http://www.sustainablelaccd.net/treepeople1.html 

What can I do to fix it?  

Message 2 of 17
Square

It loaded relatively quickly for me, although the large amount of text combined with the fade-in option you're using for the section makes it look like there's no text on the page until you scroll.

Message 2 of 17

Adam, are you serious? C'mon man. It's one thing to say Google's suggestions don't have any "real world" impact on speed (mostly untrue). It's another thing to say it has no impact on SEO (completely untrue). As you well know, SEO is more than keyword optimization. Google's algoriths test for speed and usablitity just as much as they test for keywords and content. That's an absolute lie to say speed doesn't impact SEO. C'mon man.

Message 2 of 17

NOT TRUE.  Google does use page load speed as factor in its ranking algorithm. 

Message 2 of 17

@calebs84 @gharmon, yes, site speed (and therefore page speed) are weighed by Google, and used to ranks its pages. No one here is disputing that. What we are assuring you is that the specific suggestions that came up in the analysis of the Weebly site are not critical ones that will have a significant ramification on said algorithm. 

Message 2 of 17

leverage browser caching is the one improvent that would have the most effect here. It would only need an .htaccess file in the appropriate part of the theme to implement it. Better still change the theme editor to allow the user up upload an .htaccess file.

It is not rocket science!
Message 2 of 17

Has Weebly responded to this? This is a real problem and all I have seen as a response from Weebly is "nothing". This must be difficult to accomplish or it will cost too much to fix. If this continues for 2 more weeks, I am out of here and going elsewhere. We shouldn't be dealing with this "dodging bullets" behavior. This is business, not Saturday Night Live and all I want is a simple answer and I will be perfectly ok with a positive or negative response as long as it's correct. Thank-you.

Message 2 of 17

The recent Google speed update is strongly penalizing the weebly sites (and in general the sites with a rating of less than 80/100). ALL of my sites weebly lost positions in SERPs

If they do not take action to solve the problem we will all be forced to move from weebly to other cms

Message 2 of 17
Square

Our team is considering how we might be able to implement these recommendations for sites. I'd recommend subscribing to these two posts for updates:

https://community.weebly.com/t5/Vote-on-Features/Ability-to-quot-leverage-browser-caching-quot-Test-...

https://community.weebly.com/t5/Vote-on-Features/Enable-GZIP-Compression/idc-p/86642#M21499 

Message 2 of 17

Any update on this issue? Hard to believe it's taken years and no action has been taken?

Message 2 of 17

I'm not sure why weebly not giving the full control to their users to play. Tha't why weebly not going higher like Wordpress. If the site load on 10s + it's not good for google. You really don't know anything about page speed. You can only say " We can't allow to do that. "

Weebly don't have any caching app like wordPress already have. Weebly don't allow to minfy html,css,js etc like WordPress already have. This is totaly a stupite Content manegment system.

Message 2 of 17

January 04 2021 and still nothing from weebly regarding : "minify html,css,js etc like WordPress already have"

This is such a problem for weebly users ! 

Please we are in 2021 guys !!!!!!

Message 2 of 17

@Herseyhailstorm I can help with Weebly website speed optimizations.
Recently I optimized my Weebly website speed up to a 100% on PageSpeed Insights.
The website speed is improved by optimizing code and content - fonts, images, videos, embeded content, scripts etc. 

More info about website speed optimization

Message 17 of 17