x

Referral Spam

Is there a way for weebly to block referral spam which shows up in stats information for our websites? This would be a welcome addition to prevent the skewing of the website data in stats. I am referring to well-known referral spammer sites such as burger-imperia.com. Pizza-tycoon is another one. I have had a few hits on my website from burger-imperia.com in the last few days, I don't see how it is helpful for weebly to allow this.

Apologies for posting in SEO if I should have posted this question and request elswhere. I appreciate your response.

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

Hello GMG!

Referral spam is always a pain to deal with, though unfortunately common. Were you looking for a way to prevent it entirely, or to have it filtered out of your statistics?

Message 2 of 22

At least to have it filtered out of statistics, since it skews the numbers otherwise. But ideally, isn't it in weebly's interest to prevent it, if possible?

Message 2 of 22

Hello Queso!

I, too, am riddled with referral spam. in addition to those previously mentioned, my recent stats indicate a big jump in numbers -especially from top 10 -way dot com  and baidu dot com. Research results worry me, as many on-line posters have complained about site-hacking and site dissapearance due to this spam site (which i believe is in the Ukraine.)

PLEASE TELL ME & OTHERS HOW TO DEFINITIVELY BLOCK SPAM REFERRING SITES from my Weebly site! Or, let us know what else we can do to protect our sites. Thank You.

Tags (1)
Message 2 of 22
Square

We have some systems in place to cut down or prevent that, although sometimes some referral spam can get through. Other than skewing your stats a little high, it won't actually hurt anything and should subside on its own, though.

Message 2 of 22

Thank you for your prompt reply, Adam.

My concern isn't the skewed stats the spam referral sites bring, but, rather, i worry about them hacking my site and, perhaps, being able to wipe-out my site altogether. i also worry that they are cloning my site and/or my handcrafted products to sell in their neck of the woods.

If you think i should not be concerned with this -and they are just 'skewing' around to drive more traffic to their own sites- i will drop it.  Although i guess it wouldn't hurt to make a duplicate of my site to hold on file, here at Weebly...just in case.

I appreciate your time and expertise, Adam. Enjoy your day!

Message 2 of 22
Square

They only way someone would be able to do that is they know your login info - if you're concerned you could change your password to something more secure, but otherwise I wouldn't worry. Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 22

Feeling safer... My thanks, again, Adam!
Message 2 of 22
Square

Glad to help!
Message 2 of 22

spammers are on the black list but the black list has an admin who allows some through for a small fee.

Message 2 of 22

Hi there!

I wanted to add to this thread, since it's been almost 2 years since the first post and unfortunately it's still an ongoing problem. How can we filter the referral spam out of our statistics?

Message 2 of 22
Square

We've made a lot of updates to our stats/insights, although there isn't a way to filter anything out at the moment. Can you post that to our Vote on Features board if you have a moment, @NFP?

Message 2 of 22

Saying referral spam is harmless is like saying herpes isn't all that bad. What is the point of having statistics when it's filled with false information? A simple point and click way of cleaning the garbage referrers out of the statistics just needs to be there.
Message 2 of 22

I am seeing the same thing, from burger-imperia, pizza-imperia,and pizza-tycoon.

Please explain how to filter it, but best, please explain how to blacklist these spammers.

Message 2 of 22

Looks like I'm getting the exact same surge of traffic every week, but now I can't see where the traffic is coming from. There's nothing in the referring sites window. Any ideas, Weebly? Eh, eh?

I can't even see the old referring statistics from last month anymore. Seems ever so slightly fishy to me.

Message 2 of 22
Square

If you haven't yet, can you submit a ticket to our Customer Success team about that, @pi? I checked some other accounts and see referring sites listed. 

https://hc.weebly.com

Message 2 of 22

I just checked and it looks like the spam sources have been removed. The Page Views and Unique Visits graphs are wierd, though.

image90 Day Graphs

Tags (1)
Message 2 of 22

Same thing happened to me in February; tho this month my old referring sites are making a comeback (like pizza tycoon etc), with only 1 keyword (UU94) so far. Page views & visits are about 35% lower than last week.

Message 2 of 22

in 2017 if I had 90 referring sites, 69 of them were RUSSIAN!!! That percentage was always the same- 85% of the people coming to my site weren't even people, how could that be? When I called Weebly to comment on this (Why the hell would Russian companies be interested in my little company???), all they said was "they do that to everyone." That may have been the case but it still really pissed me off, and there was no indication that weebly nor any other entity was willing nor able to do anything about it!
Message 19 of 22

@Wakemanwhite ... That is precisly my point. WHY ARE THEY coming to my little website? I reported this problem nearly a year ago in another thread [https://community.weebly.com/t5/Site-Editor/UNUSUAL-KEYWORD-SEARCH-TERMS-IN-STATS/m-p/126461#M23219] with no results. In fact I only just received a "ticket number" last month! 

Prior to that, I was told that "...it probably is nothing..." with no other explanation except "...I'll have a team look into it..."

I became so concerned about the repeated deluge of these bizarre search terms and their origin referring sites that i began my own internet research. It was a bust; but there were matching [coincidences?] with airplane parts, engines and other mechanical/engine parts, as i recall. Someone told me my site could be used as a sort of drop-off point/meeting site to diliberately mislead any onlookers? But for what, i do not know. 

Complete frustration and speculation on my part. I really believe this dilemna deserves Weebly's full attention, and those affected deserve a full explanation.

Message 19 of 22

Bonjour je subis exactement la même chose : imperia-pizza, burger-imperia, pizza-tycoon ...!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 19 of 22