x

SEO Settings - Meta Keywords disappear?

Hi! Today I focused on my SEO settings of my pages. When I finished putting in my Keywords I published my site. I wanted to add a few more but then I noticed that a lot of my Meta Keywords got deleted. So is there a limit how many Keywords you can put in or where did my Keywords go?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Square

Hey @Lisalu! There is a limit on the number of characters, though this wouldn't remove what you'd entered. What site did you see this with?

Message 2 of 12

I am using Travellin - Dusk 2 theme standard page. And here is what I mean:

Picture 1: I finished putting in all of my Meta Keywords.

---> I published my website and went back to the Weebly Dashboard

Picture 2: I opened the SEO settings again and some of my keywords got deleted. In this case: a part of my 'cooking with quinoa' keyword and 'easy quinoa recipes' got erased and every keyword after that would get erased too.image

Message 2 of 12
Square

Ahh! Thanks for the screenshot. Yes, that would be because what you entered went past the number of characters you can enter.

Message 2 of 12

I see. Thank you so much for your help! Smiley Very Happy

But is there no way to add more Keywords?

Message 2 of 12
Square

No problem! Unfortunately, it wouldn't be possible to add more. Even if it was, I'd recommend not doing that since Google would view it as keyword spamming.

Message 2 of 12

Oh okay Smiley Happy Thank you Adam.

Message 2 of 12

Lisa:

I just finished a class on SEO, google doesnt even use meta keyword tags for seo.

The tags google cares about are title, meta description and alt image tags.

It also cares about your site page structure and on page text and off page links,

but again not meta keywords, those mattered 20years ago.

Message 2 of 12

The problem with this is in the seo keyword box on a page, Weebly doesnt stop a person from typing in their keywords, they could literally enter dozens without knowing that there is a limit - you can only figure it out of you come back to the page to look at it again, which many wouldnt do - thats what happened to me.

In order to help others, can Weebly please make it clear and put in a counter for word count or something like that like on Twitter, or allow a pop up message when character count i reached. Also its hard to tell how many characters you are using in that tiny narrow box.

Another aspect if that I understand google doesnt like spamming - but the amount of characters weebly allows is quite small - one could have more authentic keywords or longer phrases that are not spam

thanks xx

Message 2 of 12

What IS the actual keyword limit? It still doesn't show on there. I just had the same issue with entering a lot of keywords and going back to find that half of them were removed. And now I don't know which ones I've lost...

Message 2 of 12

hey, i actually asked a Weebly help person, and at first he had no idea there was a limit 0 i had to explain it to him, then when i asked what is the character/word limit, he didnt know at all!!! He also said that we should limit keywords anyway and thats better - i said thats contra to what ive heard and also on some page, there can be alot of keywords or variables. Hardly anything fits in

Message 2 of 12
Square

I believe the limit is 120 characters. With meta keywords though, best practice is to use no more than 10 meta keywords. (or 10% of the total word count on your page). Putting too many meta keywords is referred to as "overstuffing" that can actually work against you.

Message 2 of 12