x

SEO and Permalinks

Hi All,

I’ve recently taken over managing a Weebly built e-commerce website that is about 2 years old.
The permalinks for all the products and categories are in default mode and are displaying like this http://www.companyname.ie/store/c35/Business_Products.html

I see that in each store page I can use the advance feature to rename each product page and to create new permalinks. I want to do this but before I do I have the following questions that I’d be grateful if anyone can help me answer.

• How do I rename the /store/c35/ section of the current permalink?
  • When using the permalink, do I need to use a hyphen to separate each word? Do I need to end the permalink with .html or does that happen automatically?
  • As these pages are established do I need to do a 301 redirect on each page when I change the SEO page title and permalink? How do I do that?

Thanks in advance for your help.  

Tags (3)
Message 1 of 19
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

Hey @Lubin!

The permalink URL you enter only changes the last part of the URL, e.g. "Business_Products.html" will be "my-new-permalink.html". You don't need to include .html, and it'll work without it. I would recommend using dashes for multiple words for easy legibility.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Square

Best Answer

Hey @Lubin!

The permalink URL you enter only changes the last part of the URL, e.g. "Business_Products.html" will be "my-new-permalink.html". You don't need to include .html, and it'll work without it. I would recommend using dashes for multiple words for easy legibility.

Message 2 of 19

Do permalinks affect SEO at all? Is it better to use them?

Message 2 of 19
Square

Permalinks are nice when you have a longer page title but want a short, easy-to-remember URL. The text contained within the URL could potentially have some SEO significance although a page will be indexed as long as it's linked somewhere, and regardless of whether you set up a permalink for it or not.

Message 2 of 19

Hi @Adam,

I cannot change my home page permalink. A pop up appears that says "your homepage permalink is not configurable" is there anything I need to do to be able to change this? I believe it is affecting my SEO. My website is heal-universe.com. Please let me know if there is anything I can do and how to do that. Thank you!

Best,
Alan

Message 2 of 19

@Adam 

Message 2 of 19

I also have this issue. Did you find a resolution? 

Message 2 of 19
Square

Hi @moark It looks like I misread the previous comment. It is not possible to change your homepage permalink. 

Message 2 of 19

Hi Adam,

I'm attempting to set up a permalink for this page, but even after publishing it is not showing up as the new permalink:

https://reclaimdesign.weebly.com/bathshower-mat.html (original link)

https://reclaimdesign.weebly.com/bath-shower-mat.html (new permalink I set up in the pages section which gives me a 404 error even when published)

Please can you help me work out what I'm doing wrong?

Message 2 of 19
Square

It looks like it is working okay for me, @michaelm73 Let us know if you are still having trouble. Thanks! 

Message 2 of 19

I need to have a page named Help_Me_Now!.htm it is an old link that is on 100's for websites that can't be changed how do I do this?

Message 2 of 19
Square

Thanks for posting, @hayford. Go to Settings > SEO within the site editor, then scroll down and use the 301 redirects option to add a redirect for that.

Message 2 of 19

OMG Thanks you so so so much you save me a client he was so mad and I just got a huge thank you from him.  I don't know how to thank you!!!!!

Message 2 of 19
Square

That's great! I'm glad to have helped!

Message 2 of 19
Square

What is the name of the site and the url you are trying to change? 

Message 15 of 19

Hello, 

I'm having a strange problem. My site is: www.transsharp.com. It's in both Italian and English and I'm using multilanguage to switch languages. I have a Blog page in each language. Both pages are named Blog, one is in Italian and one is in English. Sometime back I think I changed the URL end for the pages but I can't remember how. When you click on the Italian version Blog the url is transsharp.com/blog.html. In the English version it's transsharp.com/blog1.html. Clearly I configured these but it's not in the SEO settings. So the question is where! I don't like blog1 so I want to change it to something intuitive like blog-it.html and blog-en.html. I don't know where to change it and where it's coming from.

Thanks.

Sidra

Message 15 of 19
Square

Thanks for your question, @Sidra. Go to the Pages tab, click on your blog pages, then click the SEO Settings button for each. You can set a different page URL there for it.

Message 15 of 19

Thank you but that's not what I asked. I want to know where the current URLs have been configured it's not in the SEO settings. I did it but I don't remember where?

Message 15 of 19

Your SEO methodology ought to incorporate advancing your permalink structure. Permalinks assist with looking through motors distinguish the subjects of your substance and lead guests to the suitable pages. Update your default permalink structure on your WordPress site to create more natural traffic. If we talk an example of pittsburgh digital marketing strategies, they are more than amzing overall! You can also learn or ready the same topiced post from their webite with!

Message 19 of 19