x

SEO site description for whole site

Hi there. Can someone please tell me what the SEO site description is actually for because I can't understand how this would appear in search engine results if it's for the whole website. I can understand the individual meta descriptions for each page because they appear in the search engine results but where would this one appear? What would happen if I just got rid of it? I did a site audit recently on serpstat and it said that a middle priority issue was a duplicated description error and the description that popped up was the same one for the SEO whole site description saying that it was appearing on 23 pages. The thing is it's not on all the pages it's only for the whole site. Could this be down to me using similar keywords on other pages or does the SEO site description apply it to every page, wouldn't this confuse google? 

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Square

If you don't enter anything in for individual pages, then the descritption in Settings > SEO will be used instead. It's an easy way to set an SEO description for every page of your site if you don't want to add them individually.

Message 2 of 6

Hi Adam, 

Thanks for your reply. I did suspect that this was the case and would apply it to all the pages if there were no individual meta descriptions. I have since opted to not have any meta descriptions for any of the pages or the whole site because I prefer google to pull up natural text depending on the keywords. I did some experimenting with my site and the meta descriptions change dependant on the keywords even if the url pages are the same, so there is an advantage here by just leaving the meta descriptions blank. I am also leaving out the meta keywords for the whole site also and only having them on the individual pages.

Can I ask you a question about international SEO by any change? My website is UK based but I want to it rank better for European search engines. Thanks

Message 2 of 6

International SEO thing sorted now. Thanks

Message 2 of 6
Square

Thanks for the update!

Message 2 of 6

Your should write separate meta description for every web pages as per the character limit. In SEO meta description limit is 300 and content should not be duplicate. It should be unique and keywords also relevant as per the web content topic. 

Message 2 of 6