x

SITE TITLE v PAGE TITLE for SEO

I have read some useful weebly guides but there is some condradiction. 

https://www.weebly.com/seo/title-tag says to uncheck SITE TITLE (but this removes the name of your website) and use PAGE TITLE on each individual page 

https://hc.weebly.com/hc/en-us/articles/205678298 says to leave the home page blank so SEO relies on the SITE TITLE in the general setting

Significantly, by unchecking the general SEO SITE TITLE option means the website title is no longer visible on the top of the pages - not good 

So should we unchcek or check the general SEO SITE TITLE section or not? 

Q1) If we leave general SITE TITLE checked, and use individual PAGE TITLES, will this decrease rankings? 

Q2) If we leave general SITE TITLE unchecked, and use individual PAGE TITLES for each page does this effect our SITE TITLE? A different name will be at the top of each page.

My page is www.dogadoption.org.au

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Square

Hm..that is confusing. If you uncheck the site title in the settings page and add in your page titles that information will not show on the individual pages (like the checked site title option would) however, it would display properly on a search engine. I'll have to reach out to tech support in the morning to see if they can clarify for us. Thanks in advance for your patience. 

Message 2 of 10

Hello

This question was asked in april but has not been answered.

Can Adam help please..?

Message 2 of 10

Hi

I also want to know the answer to this exact question..thankyou for asking this.

Message 4 of 10
Square

The title referenced in the HC article is the title element and not site title. You can totally use the site title on all pages, but you'll want to go to the SEO Settings for each of the pages for your site and set something specific the page there, that way that is used instead of the global setting for your site.

Message 4 of 10

Hi Adam

I am still confused

The artile clearly says for best practice SEO we should uncheck the From Settings > General > Site Title make sure to uncheck the box "Show title on top of your pages" or else your site name will append to all title tags.

https://www.weebly.com/seo/title-tag

Are you staying not to do this? And to spend time on Page Title, page descriptions and permalinks? 

Also is it recommended to have the same Page Name as the Page Title? 

Message 4 of 10

Im full of questions on this subject. Im running into the same thing. whenn I google my site all of the pages come up with the site title "Privette Enterprises Inc 1-800-MulchPro" Grading - Excavateing Drivew" Then my Page description which is fine. But others in my area will show Example --------->

Grading and Excavating contractor in Monroe NC Privette Enterprises Inc. If I UNCHECK the box  Show title on the top of your pages.

Then my company name disappears from the top. I really would like some help with this!

Message 4 of 10
Square

Showing or hiding the site title shouldn't actually change the SEO title. The SEO title on a page of the site should also follow the format of SITE TITLE - PAGE TITLE. Are you saying you aren't seeing that in Google?

Message 4 of 10

I'm struggling with this, as I'm experiencing a conflict between how Weebly works and the SEO advice Weebly is giving me.

One of my sites doesn't have a logo, so at the top of the page I've had to choose to use Text instead, so each page has a common website title. However, I realise that the text I've entered as the site-wide name also gets appended to the SEO Page Title.  

I can't untick the General Settings option for the Site Title, because if I do none of my web pages will have a site name on them. But Weebly tells me this isn't good for SEO. So how am I supposed to get round this? What have I missed?

Message 4 of 10
Square

The SEO title for a page is always constructed with "site title - page title", and this is the case even if you don't display your site title on your pages. One thing you could do is make an image of the text title you have right now (you could even take a screenshot of it and crop it down to use), that way you could keep the words visually but leave the site title field in Settings blank.

Message 4 of 10