x

Search Engine Indexing

We have a situation where we have two product entries for ever product. One has a retail (for the public) price and one has a wholesale (for re-sellers) price. We have put the wholesale priced products on hidden, members only pages. We now find that search engines still index these products and these products are in fact showing up on search engine results. Users just click on them and they can access the prices to these products. This is a nightmare for us to say the least. Weeby suggest nothing can be done about it other than to go into the back end of the search engine a remove them. Given we have lots of products this will be another expensive and time consuming nightmare. We only found this out after our SEO started to kick in.

Has anyone else out there had this problem?

Also editing products is another time consuming and costly nightmare. Finding them is the issue. Would it not be more practical to be able to:

View the prices in catalogues

Be able to edit products via catalogues

And/or to be able to organise products in some sort of order; alphabetical; product types; just a click and drag option? 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Weebly wasn't initially designed as an ecommerce platform such as Shopify which is specifically for ecommerce, so you'll always encounter some type of design flaw. But in my experience, Weebly really does listen to its users and work to provide solutions to your problems. 

As for your SEO issue, it's quite simple. There are TWO boxes you must click to hide things from all users and also hide it from search engines. Clicking the button below hides the page from being navigated via the Nav Bar:

Keep in mind, if this is the only box you click, the Page wont appear in your Navigation bar once Published, but it will still be crawled by Google and picked up as a page, since the page is still technically published. This is useful if you create specific Landing Pages for ads and want them to be indexed and boost your SEO due to the views they receive, but you don't want the landing pages in normal navigation.

Click SEO Settings on the page you want to hide. 
Scroll to the bottom and click the button shown below as well:

The second button is actually Weebly providing Editors the ability to click and input Robot.txt onto the page so it doesn't appear in SERPs. Click those two buttons and the Page will (once SEO kicks in) not appear in your Nav Bar nor in SERPs.

Hope that helps!

Message 2 of 6

Hi. Thanks for that. Yes we did all that. You can only hide the page from the search engine. It only hides the page not the products on the page. These are still picked up on search engines. People just type the product into a search engine; click on it and go straight in. So what you think cannot be seen; can be seen. Weebly tell me they cannot fix it. Please tell me if I am wrong.
Message 2 of 6

Hopefully me stating we have the same problem will get weebly to take notice.

Here goes......WE HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM

Message 2 of 6

Hopefully me stating we have the same problem will get weebly to take notice.

Here goes......WE HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM

Tags (1)
Message 2 of 6

We have this same problem too.

This needs to be addressed or given an oppurtinity to add code to remove it from all index searches. Removing this from one search engine only is not fun, and is only that engine.

We need the ability to add some code to block all indexing <meta name="robots" content="noindex" />

Obviously blank would index.

Message 2 of 6