x

Why is WEEBLY inserting their Google Analytics Account ID into my sites?

i have these code in the bottom of my site 

why weebly is doing this?

how to get rid of it!!! 

var _gaq = _gaq || []; _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-7870337-1']); _gaq.push(['_setDomainName', 'none']); _gaq.push(['_setAllowLinker', true]); _gaq.push(['_trackPageview']); (function() { var ga = document.createElement('script'); ga.type = 'text/javascript'; ga.async = true; ga.src=('https:' == document.location.protocol ? 'https://ssl' : 'http://www') + '.google-analytics.com/ga.js'; var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(ga, s); })(); _W.Analytics = _W.Analytics || {'trackers': {}}; _W.Analytics.trackers.wGA = '_gaq';

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

@loin: so they can track and tell their investors how many visitors they have on their site.  It also helps them know the traffic volume to decide on their infrastructure stuff.  Why does it bother you?  I am sure when you signed up you must have agreed to they installing those codes. They have smart lawyers.

Message 2 of 11

no they did not mention that, and we are not supposed to be lawyers to read in between lines, and they bother me because they dont reflect a nice image for my website, these codes are visible its like a sort of unnecessary pollution, which make my website look unprofessional, and i can loose customers due to that. when i signed up, these codes was not in my page, they put them later after 1 month, i am very upset, these codes have to be invisible to the eye of the website visitors (customers), and weebly can do better than just watching !!!

Message 2 of 11

@loin:  As far as I know those codes don't show up when people visit your site.  Every site you visit has similar codes.  Some of the popular sites cnn.com - 18, yahoo - 12, nbcnews - 8.  If you don't like them, you don't have to use weebly.

And if you are seeing those codes on a webpage something is wrong.

Message 2 of 11

@loin

Website address??

Message 2 of 11
Square

While we do add those to all sites for tracking purposes, it doesn't have any impact on your site or prevent you from adding your own code. Feel free to add your own analytics code to Settings > SEO > Header Code if you'd like to track your site traffic yourself.

Message 2 of 11

BUT it should be possible to remove that code. Why? You get an idea if you take your time on this big one: General Data Protection Regulation  - Implemantation date on 25th May 2018

Its a European Union regulation - population 500.000.000. How many weebly user? Don't know. Who cares? The weebly management perhaps.

On every Website you build with weebly you can find the UA-7870337-1 google-analytics weebly ID. Whats the problem? -> General Data Protection Regulation. THATS the Problem.

If you do google analytics on your own you can handle it with the ga('set', 'anonymizeIp', true), etc. The order to anonymize the IP.

The tracking-code on weebly build site is a problem which cant be fixed with the HTML-Editor. Its a weebly-managemt-decision.

And know I have to leave. Of course all Europeans have to. Why? Sanction up to 20 million EURO

The following sanctions can be imposed:
    a warning in writing in cases of first and non-intentional noncompliance
    regular periodic data protection audits
    a fine up to €10 million or up to 2% of the annual worldwide turnover of the preceding financial year in case of an enterprise, whichever is greater, if there has been an infringement of the following provisions (Article 83, Paragraph 4[20])
        the obligations of the controller and the processor pursuant to Articles 8, 11, 25 to 39, and 42 and 43
        the obligations of the certification body pursuant to Articles 42 and 43
        the obligations of the monitoring body pursuant to Article 41(4)
    a fine up to €20 million or up to 4% of the annual worldwide turnover of the preceding financial year in case of an enterprise, whichever is greater, if there has been an infringement of the following provisions: (Article 83, Paragraph 5 & 6[20])
        the basic principles for processing, including conditions for consent, pursuant to Articles 5, 6, 7, and 9
        the data subjects' rights pursuant to Articles 12 to 22
        the transfers of personal data to a recipient in a third country or an international organisation pursuant to Articles 44 to 49
        any obligations pursuant to member state law adopted under Chapter IX
        noncompliance with an order or a temporary or definitive limitation on processing or the suspension of data flows by the supervisory authority pursuant to Article 58(2) or failure to provide access in violation of Article 58(1)

Big player like Jimdo und 1&1 do a better job to make sure that the customers in Europe have no issue with the General Data Protection Regulation. Weebly...Weebly - Off(line) you go! 😉

Message 2 of 11
Square

This help article was recently published in our help center. GDPR is on our radar, and I'm sure the team is already taking this into consideration. Thank you for submitting this additional feedback, though. Smiley Happy

https://hc.weebly.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000488108-GDPR-FAQ

Message 2 of 11

"How do I know if I am a data controller or a data processor under the GDPR?"

Really? This link suggest that the user is the only one who has to deal with GDPR. But there is nothing about the weebly website builder. It generates a code WITH Google Analytics und Quantcast inside. Its not a big deal to install the Browser App GHOSTERY or search the code for "google" to see whats going on.

Its not about using Google Analytics for myself and willingly! Its about using weebly and getting framed WITHOUT a hint or the possibility to make this ugly code and GDPR-thing go away. THAT is an dishonest way to communicate with the European users. Im sure about the next europe-website builder contest in May 2018. It will show the category GDPR-certified. The GDPR-sanction are to serious to make up mind games with the users.

Whatever the weebly-team is planning - honesty should be first. Change the disadvantage in an advantage or off(line) you go!

Message 2 of 11

Weebly, please get ready for GDPR now.

I also want to get rid of your Analytics-Code, i need checkboxes on forms, i need to include a link to the data protection statement on the cookie-banner ...

Message 2 of 11

Seems like we can not use Weebly after 25 of may anymore in europe???

Nothing happens on tickets weebly is not responding and in the end they closed the tickets. Thats no service!!!

Message 2 of 11