x

newbie question about invoices. can a signature be added?

hi everyone, 

i own a small auto repair shop and we are currently in the process of deciding if we should upgrade our systems to square. it is imperative for us that our repair orders/invoices have a signature on them. what is the best way to do this with square? is there a way to customize an invoice to include a signature? 

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

to clarify: we need this signature before we begin any work or inspection on the vehicle. 

Message 2 of 12

Hello @CarFriend, this is a great question! 

Currently we don't offer the ability to integrate signatures directly into Invoices. The reason for this is our Invoices are intended to be paid through the customers email. 

Although you might be able to send them an Invoice with a PDF attached that they could sign? 

That is probably the best work around we have right now. 

Message 3 of 12

Is a solution in process to allow signatures on invoices.  We are new to square but this will be a deal killer.  Everything has to be signed before mechandise can leave for proper controls.  All of our credit accounts require it.  Thanks.

Message 4 of 12
Alumni

Hi @m2bruno - We don't have a timeline for this, but will share if we have any news.

Did you see @Chad's work around above? That's probably your best bet for the time being?

Also, can you share a little bit more about your business and use case? That will be helpful when conveying your need to our Invoices team!

Message 5 of 12

@Chad I can't see how sending the customer a pdf would solve anything here.  I too need a signature for an invoice that the customer received the products in store so that home office can send a payment.  The signature verifies that the products were accounted for at delivery.

If your tech team could just add the signature ability as a popup or something and auto attach it to the invoice.  The person receiving the products might not be the same (that will depend on who is there at the store at the time.of delivery).

@katieand 

Message 6 of 12

I am looking for something similar, part of my job requires dropping off orders to individual clients, and I had required a signature of approval that items were all there and in good order with the paper invoicing.  Without that signature in a paperless system, what legal backup do I have if someone disputes that they did not receive the goods?  Help!

Message 7 of 12
Alumni

Hello @theodorehotdawg. Since you are making in person drop offs, the best way to protect yourself is to process the card at the time of drop off with a chip reader. This will allow you to receive the signature when the goods are dropped off.

Message 8 of 12

@Pete I have the same issue as @theodorehotdawg ... The issue with your solution for me is that the Home office makes the payments. The store just needs to verify that the products are accounted for on the invoice. And sometimes the invoice won't be paid for until due date (i.e.; 7 days, 14 days, etc...) 

I suggest a e-signature popup option for invoices that get auto attachted as pdfs to the invoice.  Your thoughts?   

Message 9 of 12
Square Community Moderator

What you are suggesting is an awesome feature request, but at this time @Chad is right, you will need to have the customer sign a PDF "outside" of the invoice being paid and attach the file via PDF to invoice. You can also attach PDF files to the customer's profile in the Customer Directory, so if they do sign before the invoice is paid, you can always attach it there so you have a record that the goods were delivered. 

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 10 of 12

I agree, this would be very helpful for us as well.  We need to be able to collect sugnature before we start our services.  I really hope Square can provide this feature in the near future.

Message 11 of 12

I am also looking for the capability to get a digital signature on an invoice prior to sending. All my invoices go to a corporate accounting department and I need to get the local branch managers' signatures for authorization prior to sending so they know it was approved.

Message 12 of 12