x

Major Problems ever since last 2 updates with charges and chip reader

We have been having major problems with our chip readers ever since the last 2 updates. Random cards will take 2-3 tries for the transaction to go through, and each try takes more than a minute. Also I have been getting an extremely high rate of double and triple charges showing up on folks' cards. Thankfully most of their banking/card institutions are rejecting the excess charges. But this should not be happening. I recieved an email about the update and the card readers being much faster, but they have only been tremendously slower since the update. Please fix!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Super Seller Alumni

I am expericing some slow down problems also. What iPad model are you using? I'm using an older iPad 3 and I think it may be the reason.

Message 2 of 6
Alumni

Hi @LSGHFBKS What version iPad/mobile device are you on and what type of Square hardware are you using? You might be experiencing some lag time if you are using outdated or not software updated devices.  

@Ron - I know you're on an older iPad so your lag is probably from that. For some context, Apple stopped supporting updates for iPad 3 in 2016 and the highest iOS it can go to is 9.3.5. The most up to date iOS version is 11.2.6. We still support this older iOS, but it's not unusual to see lag times when operating on this system. We're encouraging customers to upgrade and have financing in the hardware store to help you out. 

Message 3 of 6

Sorry for the delay in replying. The weeks leading up to Easter as a Bakery Cafe are extremely busy for us.

I constantly keep updating all software and ios, and everything is about 1.5 years old, and they were the latest versions when bought.

I have found that if I select the button to go to the name screen/payment screen before they insert their cards, that is when it acts up BIG TIME. I have to stop the payment, insert the card, stop that payment and then do it one more time in order for the payment to even go through. Otherwise if I don't pull out the card and stop the payment it will "think" for 1-2 minutes and say it's not connecting or something like that, and ask me to try again. but if the card isn't pulled out it will keep "thinking" every time for 1-2 minutes before finally on the 3rd-5th try it will go through.

The double charges are still happening, not as frequently with this latest app update but I am still getting at least 1 call a week still. Unfortuntely I'm not usually here when they happen so I have no idea what is exactly happening, but as a cafe, with made to order products, the double charges are not something that our staff is doing wrong, it's something with the app/chip reader. It is an exact duplicate charge down to the minutest detail. The only thing I am finding in common with the duplicate charges is that the customer tells me that there was a connection issue at the time of the transaction and the transaction took a long time to go through. The connection issues are only happening with chip card transactions, and not any swiped card transactions, or manually typed transactions. It may be issues with what I stated in the preceding paragraph, however none of my transactions have come back as a duplicate charge, and it took me 2 weeks of every 4th to 5th transaction being like stated above before I finally figured out why it didn't always act up on me.

Message 4 of 6
Admin

Hey @LSGHFBKS, thanks for circling back and sorry to hear that you're still encountering trouble. This should not be happening. 🤔

Any chance you can reply with the Point of Sale app version, mobile device make/model, and operating system that it's running? In addition, these troubleshooting tips usually clear up any kind of glitchy issue right away. This information will help us take a deeper dive into what may be causing these performance issues.

I'll keep an eye out for your reply—appreciate your help with this information.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 5 of 6

Thanks! I haven't had any issues lately, and I've finally managed to retrain myself to not go to the payment screen too soon. So It seems they did something that seems to have improved things! If I have any issues again I will get that info to you. 🙂

Message 6 of 6