x

Advice on book entering sales made through Grubhub into Square to interface with Quickbooks?

Best way to book sales through Grubhub, Uber Eats and Caviar?

At our cafe we use Square POS, which integrates well with QB online.  We also use delivery services from Caviar, GrubHub and UberEats. These services take and process the orders and deposit an amount net of Sales Taxes and a commission to our bank.  

Their deposits are weekly/bi-weekly, and I book the revenue by creating a sales receipt for the amount and matching the bank transaction import.

My issue is that this procedure distorts the daily sales.  Th only way to deal with it seems to be typing the delivery orders into square, but at their point, the value of the order does not show the net value (commission, fees tax) that will actually be deposited to my bank. Also I would need to figure the combination of orders that would be lumped into any given deposit.

Also, I would like to spend as little daily time as possible on QB and would like to avoid cumbersome multistep processes. 

Does anyone have experience with booking these transactions at quickbooks and POSs? 

Message 1 of 26
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Adding and Customizing Tender Options

@SandwichHag Thanks for your interest in Square! With the new Square for Restaurants app you can manage delivery an pick up integrations - including orders from Caviar. If you need to manage several ordering channels you can use the Chowly integration with Square for Restaurants.

This Support Center article has more informaiton about Delivery and Pickup integrations with Square for Restaurants, and this wesbite has general information about the Square for Restuarants app (available for iPads only at this time).

I hope this helps you to get started. Feel free to reply or start a new thread if you have any other questions! 

25 REPLIES 25
Square Community Moderator

Hi there. 

Interesting post. There's not much we can do through the Square reports other than the work-around that you're already using. That would've been my suggestion even though it has its drawbacks and limitations to specific reports. 

There might be a better way that the 3rd party companies that you use can suggest. Have you contacted any of them in regards to this?

Message 2 of 26

We are about to start grubhub as well.  After sitting down and thinking it through I realized that we're going to have the same exact problem.  My plan is to create a seperate account just for logging the delivery orders like this and reconciling the accounting with my accounting software (aka Excel!).  Very cumbersome but i see no other way.  This is necessary for us because we are using Square as a POS for our full service restaurant and rely on it to send tickets to the kitchen.

Message 3 of 26
Admin

Thanks for sharing, @charsue. While we don't have any additional solutions for this in Square Point of Sale yet, you might want to have a look at the accounting options in the App Market place — there may be another service that can help streamline reporting for you. Hope this helps.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 4 of 26

We are using Square as a POS for our full service restaurant and need the ability to log sales made through 3rd party ordering / delivery services like GrubHub, Eat24, UberEats, etc.  These services process the payments themselves and we just get a deposit directly to our bank account.  However, we are using square to manage our restaurant operation, including sending tickets to the kitchen and managing item sales.  There needs to be a way to book 3rd party sales into Square so we can have 1 accurate report.  Not an easy feature request and one that needs to be thought out, but necessary for Square to become a real player in the restaurant POS space.  This is why you make the big bucks! 😄

As discussed here:

https://www.sellercommunity.com/t5/Questions-How-To/Advice-on-book-entering-sales-made-through-Grubh...

Tags (1)
Message 5 of 26
Alumni

@charsue, thanks for detailing your needs here, definitely complicated, but we appreciate you taking the time to post about it. Will update you here if/when there's any change! 

Message 6 of 26

Hi - this issue is 2 over years old. Is there any progress?
Message 7 of 26

This reply created from merging an existing thread: "Adding and Customizing Tender Options" The author has been notified via email.

Our store currently uses Doordash, chownow, and are adding in more of these delivery options, yet there is no way to ring them up Under square. Currently we use the "other" function, but it adds a lot of back track work for accounting, especially as our sales grow higher and higher with them.  In addition, some of these platforms include a tip option wich HAS to be accounted for, so we end up ringing the tip up as an item and doing a paid out for our emplyees at the end of the day, causeing us to have to pay sales tax on it. 

Square should allow you to create your own types of tender, it should be a simple function. For a company that was formed to fix the problem of out-dated POS systems, Square sure is starting to look like one. My sister loacation uses a 20 year old technology and atleast it can create your own payment types. 

We need a Third Party/Delivery Services Tender Option. Preferably customizable in name, and with options to create or record tips with these. 

Message 8 of 26

I currently use Revel and am considering switching to Square.  However, not having this option to key in 3rd party orders may be a dealbreaker.  Revel allows me to customize up to 3 different payment types and naming them to “Caviar”, “Foodsby”, and so on.  

Is there an update in the works? 

Message 9 of 26
Beta Member

No. Square is becoming an outdated POS system by not keeping up with highly requested features like this. 

It really is time for a competitor to crush them.

Look elsewhere if you want modern features like food delivery integration. 

Message 10 of 26
Admin

@SandwichHag Thanks for your interest in Square! With the new Square for Restaurants app you can manage delivery an pick up integrations - including orders from Caviar. If you need to manage several ordering channels you can use the Chowly integration with Square for Restaurants.

This Support Center article has more informaiton about Delivery and Pickup integrations with Square for Restaurants, and this wesbite has general information about the Square for Restuarants app (available for iPads only at this time).

I hope this helps you to get started. Feel free to reply or start a new thread if you have any other questions! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 11 of 26

@Helen this quoted statement at bottom seems like an unreasonable offer for seeking souls like myself -- when many of us already are using the SQUARE POS and don't need the table floorplans, etc. that the new Restaurant roll-out is toting. The drawbacks are MANY that I'm hearing w/ the 'Restaurant Square'.... (1) it also REQUIRES a PAID SUBSCRIPTION (why? when the current one we have does not) -- (2) ALSO REQUIRES that the iPAD platform is the only one it works with --- not Samsung Note Tablets/Android platform & others, (3) ALSO REQUIRES that one be using the CAVIAR food delivery service (all the others are not avail - like DoorDash, UberEats, EZCater, etc) - (4) ALSO, sounds like there's ANOTHER LAYER OF COMPLICATION CALLED: "Chowly" -- An already spread-thin business owner must figure out how to integrate that----in order to use/integrate in other Delivery Services --- but again ONLY if you've got Square for Restaurants (again a limitation) -- 

Can we /you/SQUARE just simply ALLOW Square business owners to add additional PAYMENT TYPES "DoorDash", "UberEats" and that would resolve a TON of issues instantly.. WITHOUT forcing folks down a pigeon-holed solution with so many limitations and requirements for further integrations! 

WAIT, LET'S MAKE IT EVEN EASIER FOR SQUARE:  PLEASE ALLOW UP TO 9 NEW PAYMENT TYPES AT THE VERY LEAST hard code like this:  "Other", "Other1", "Other2", "Other3", Other4', "Other5", "Other6" and so on (and we can decide which one is which on our backend)..

Any ideas how much longer it will be til' something simple like this can take place? Looks like it's been requested for quite some time.. ETA?

"Thanks for your interest in Square! With the new Square for Restaurants app you can manage delivery an pick up integrations - including orders from Caviar. If you need to manage several ordering channels you can use the Chowly integration with Square for Restaurants.

Message 12 of 26
Admin

Thanks for your post @LICPUC, I'm sorry for the frustration that this is causing. I'm afraid I don't have an ETA to share for when the Point of Sale app might include the ability to record multiple other payment types. I can see how you and many other businesses need a way to efficiently track and manage your delivery orders and I'll share your feedback with the Point of Sale team.In the meantime, if Square for Restaurants isn't suitable for your business, you might be interested in the integration between DoorDash and the Square Point of Sale app

We'll share any udpates on other delivery here as soon as we have them. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 13 of 26

@LICPUC I work with a few hundred restaurants who use square and they set up different employee users for each online ordering system and use check as the tender option to settle. It's a workaround, but it solves the problem. Some ordering platforms are now directly integrated with Square also, like chownow (full service, commission-free) and ordering.app (limited service platform), meaning you don't need to use another middleware service like chowly. 

Message 14 of 26

This reply created from merging an existing thread: "Recording Seamless Grubhub Transactions with Square" The author has been notified via email.

Does anyone know of a good way to record Seamless Grubhub transactions with the Square POS?

Message 15 of 26

We  have been using ubereats about 4 months.  We have a different approach. we enter all the tickets in square and lump them togehter each week ( that is the uber payment cutoff).  Then I take that total and match it against the deposit amount.  In QBO I post the Uber total as store delivery sales, and deduct the uber fees as an expense.  That takes care of capturing sales. If the amounts don't match I can look through the open tickes on square to figure out the discrepancy.  then at the end of the week I can delete the tickets.  My Square total sales in inaccurate which doesn't bother me too much, but what is a problem is that I lose track of the item sales data.  

If I capture the sales in Square  as a "other" form of payment the items are correct but the gross sales are inflated.  That is still a problem to be solved.

I'm thinking that captruing the sales aily but just posting net sales to QBO might be the way to go.  Any ideas?

Message 16 of 26
Square Community Moderator

Thanks for sharing that workaround @oregoncrepe

I'm sure that post will help a ton of sellers that use the same setup or are looking for a solution similar to yours. 

Hopefully a fellow seller can chime in with their best practices for the QBO reporting as well 👍🏼

Message 17 of 26

Would love to connect to see if you've found another around this. We would like to use Uber Eats but are concerned that it will create issues on the accounting end when capturing accurate sales less fees etc. Feel free to email me directly: [personal information redacted]

Message 18 of 26
Alumni

Hey @honeycomb! Since the Community is a public forum, I removed your email address to protect your information and prevent you from receiving unwanted messages. However, we do have a Private Message feature and we encourage all of our Sellers to utilize that tool if you need to communicate with each other directly. 🙂

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 19 of 26

@oregoncrepe CAN YOU (or anyone reading this) PLEASE EXPAND UPON YOUR PREVIOUS STATEMENT? (WHY SALES WOULD BE INFLATED?) - I'M ALSO LOOKING FOR A SOLUTION TO GET ALL MY DOORDASH AND EZCATER SALES BACK INTO MY SQUARE TO MAKE TAX REPORTING LESS CUMBERSOME - Which requires you know your total sales for month, total taxes for month, etc)  "If I capture the sales in Square  as a "other" form of payment the items are correct but the gross sales are inflated.  That is still a problem to be solved."

Message 20 of 26

to be fair, gross sales in square don't show net value of any eexpense associated with the sale, such as square fees.  those need to be entered in your accounting system as an expense.

Message 21 of 26