x

Can you create a standing credit on a customer's account?

Any way I can create a standing credit on a customer's account that they can use toward a future purchase?

Message 1 of 29
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Credit on customer account?

Not directly, but you could issue a gift card in the amount that you wish and they can use that gift card to pay until it's used up.

28 REPLIES 28

This is awesome way to go too!

Message 22 of 29
Admin

Hello and thank you so much for sharing these smart tips @coffeelady and @CashsCleaners! 🤓

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 23 of 29

I apologize if I'm not understanding something....but I don't use the POS system....I simply do up invoices for my customers.  Throughout the year, some will buy credit/pay ahead and I need a way to have their credit balance show up under their customer profile or even in a report so I can tell when they start to owe me again.  Will any of the above process' work for me?  I've been using QuickBooks for years and am able to do that there, but really would like to switch to only using one invoicing system.

Message 24 of 29
Admin

Happy to help @tacustomframing!

Hmm, so without using the Point of Sale app/a physical gift card you could ask your customer to buy an eGift Card for your business (this would be their 'store credit'.) They can buy an eGift card from your eGift Card website and link the eGift Card to their customer profile.

You could then use that eGift Card as the card on file with Square Invoices:

1. Navigate to the customer's profile from your Customer Directory and click Create Invoice.
  2. OR from the Invoices section of the Dashboard click Create Invoice and add the customer to the invoice.
  3. For Invoice Method select the eGift Card on file (see below).
  4. Click Charge in the upper right. The eGift card will be charged and your customer will receive a email stating the invoice has been paid.

I know there are a lot of steps here and we'll continue to share your requests for a streamlined way to give customers store/account credit with Square. Let me know if you have any other questions! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 25 of 29

That all makes sense.  Moving over from an established directory in Quickbooks, could I still create those egift cards for them myself for those that already have credit that I'm needing to keep up with or simply continue to use Quickbooks until they use their credit?

Message 26 of 29
Admin

Hey @tacustomframing, Tom stepping in for Helen today. I went to check on this and there isn't a way to migrate a balance to Square eGift Cards at this time. For now, you will need to either hold on to QuickBooks until your customer uses their credit, or you might consider returning their credit with instructions to purchase eGift Cards through Square.

I realize this transition could be smoother and I'll be sure to surface your last post with our product team. Appreciate your patience as we make improvements based on seller experience. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 27 of 29

Thank you so much!  I appreciate the info and look forward to switching over completely.  🙂

Message 28 of 29

Same issue as OP. It's been 2.5 years, square. Can you please add this feature to your invoicing? 

Message 29 of 29