x

How can I charge my customer when they are not present?

I own a medical practice and accept payment during a visit through Square for things like copays and self-pay patients. However, once my medical biller sends it to the insurance company, any remainder then goes to the patient. The medical billing office (not associated with me, they're a different company) will send a patient an invoice. The patient can mail them a check but a lot of times they just want to call me to pay with a debit card. 

Question: Is there a way to accept payment from someone who wants to pay online on my website and I know who it is from (so I can close their bill).

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

We do a lot of orders by people calling in their orders. Using the web interface instead of the app, is it possible to create an order by adding items and then processing the credit card for the order? I understand how to create an order with items via the Square app on an iOS device, but it seems like it is not possible to create an order with items using the web interface (instead of the iOS app), and you can only charge an amount using the Virtual Terminal as listed in this Help topic: https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5176

The reason we want to enter orders through a web interface is because entering all of the billing and shipping information via an iOS device will be slower than entering it via a computer keyboard interface.  Also, it is important to us to be able to specify what items are used for an order for inventory integration purposes.

Thanks!

-Stan

Message 2 of 4
Alumni

@stanward

Hey there Stan! 👋

I went ahead and moved your post to this thread. It sounds like using Square Invoices may help you out. It will be a little different than what you're used to doing, but this method is more secure for your customers and has a lower processing fee for you!

When your customer calls in an order, you can enter their purchase into an Invoice from your Dashboard (this won't be much different aside from being able to enter itemized transaction details). What's different is you will then email the Invoice and allow the customer to pay online. 

Test it out and let me know what you think.

Message 3 of 4
Alumni

Hey there @tablerockmobile

In addition to accepting payment over the phone when your customer isn't physically present, you can send a Square Invoice to their email so they can pay online. Invoices are free to send and the credit card processing fee (2.9% + $0.30) is lower than manually keyed payments (3.5% + $0.15). 

I hope this helps you streamline payments at your office. Let me know if you need anything else. 👍

Message 4 of 4