x

Allow Customers to Update their Card on file

Allow Customers to Update their Card on file

My company has several monthly repeating invoices that are paid automatically with a customer's card on file. However, when that card needs to be changed (due to expiration, new card, etc.) there's no way for the customer to do this themselves. 

Right now I either have the customer call me with the updated card (which neither of us want to do) or I remove their card and have them update it with the next month's invoice. 

I'd like to request that Square implement a secure link where customers can change their card on file themselves.

3 Verified Answers
Verified Answer

Re: Allow Customers to Update their Card on file

Hey @marriedinmke!

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community.

I agree. This would be a great feature to have, and probably more comfortable for both sellers and customers. My workaround suggestion in the meantime is what you're already doing. Have the customer remove their card on file by following the link provided to them on all card on file notifications, and then adding new card info. 

Thanks so much for posting on the Feature Requests: Invoices board  We'll definitely post in this thread if we hear any updates on the development of this feature. 

Verified Answer

Re: Updating a credit card on a recurring invoice.

Hello @sebastya! You'll need to call your customer or ask them to visit you in person in order to update their card on file. I absolutely see how sending a secure link to the client would save time.  

In the meantime, when your customer contacts you, you can edit the invoice (and their card information) following these steps:

1. Sign in to the Invoices section of your online Square Dashboard > click Recurring.
  2. Select the invoice in question > click on the customer's name.
  3. Scroll down to Card on File and click the X beside their current card to remove it > then click Add Card to add their new card information. 

Alternatively, you could cancel this recurring series and then start a new series to allow this client to save a new card on file. 

Verified Answer

Re: What happens when a Card on File expires?

I'm very sorry that this question hasn't been answered yet! 

When a customer's card expires they are not sent a notification email. If a card has expired you'll be able to see that from the Customer Directory: 

1. Navigate to the Customers section of your online Square Dashboard.
  2. Click on a customers name.
  3. Scroll down to Cards on File > you'll see the four-digit expiry date (e.g. 01/22) immediately below last four digits of the card number.
  4. If the card has expired, you'll see Expired instead of the date.

You'll need to contact your customer then to update their card information. I can see how an email notification would save you an extra step, I'll share your request with the team!

20 Comments

If I have a customers’ Credit Card information stored in Card on File, what happens when that Credit Card expires? Does Square send a notification to the customer that they need to update the Credit Card information? Or is that a process that I need to manage manually?

I have the same question. Did you ever get a response?

Admin

I'm very sorry that this question hasn't been answered yet! 

When a customer's card expires they are not sent a notification email. If a card has expired you'll be able to see that from the Customer Directory: 

1. Navigate to the Customers section of your online Square Dashboard.
  2. Click on a customers name.
  3. Scroll down to Cards on File > you'll see the four-digit expiry date (e.g. 01/22) immediately below last four digits of the card number.
  4. If the card has expired, you'll see Expired instead of the date.

You'll need to contact your customer then to update their card information. I can see how an email notification would save you an extra step, I'll share your request with the team!

The title of this thread has been edited from the original

Hi,

My client wants to change the card on file to a different card on a recurring invoice, but obviously doesn't want to email it over and would rather do it via a link or something of that nature.

How do I go about doing that?

Admin

Hello @sebastya! You'll need to call your customer or ask them to visit you in person in order to update their card on file. I absolutely see how sending a secure link to the client would save time.  

In the meantime, when your customer contacts you, you can edit the invoice (and their card information) following these steps:

1. Sign in to the Invoices section of your online Square Dashboard > click Recurring.
  2. Select the invoice in question > click on the customer's name.
  3. Scroll down to Card on File and click the X beside their current card to remove it > then click Add Card to add their new card information. 

Alternatively, you could cancel this recurring series and then start a new series to allow this client to save a new card on file. 

My customer needs to change the card they have on file. How do we do that?

Super Seller Alumni

Here's Square's page that shows the relevant information on the Card on File facility.  You're going to need to delete the old card (how to do that is addressed on the page), then enter the new card's information.

How do I update the expiration date of a card on file?

Alumni

Hey @Suezq - and welcome to the Seller Community! 🎊

I've moved your question to this thread so you can see the reply posted by @Helen, as well as the link included in @GlassJudy's response. Regardless of whether this card on file is related to a recurring invoice or not, these are the different options for updating a card on file.

The directions provided below to change a credit card on file do not sync with the available options when you try to update card information on recurring invoice.  For instance, there is no "X" to delete an old card and no option to "Add" a new card.  Please advise asap.