x

Does Square offer line item partial refunds?

Partial refunds need to be when you take an item off a completed transaction. Right now you have to type in a dollar amount. This does not adjust tax collected since it isn't tied to items.

Need same behavior on invoices too. Now you have refund entire invoice and send out a new one. 

Message 1 of 45
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Exciting news - itemized refunds are now available in iOS (don't worry, we're working on Android and it'll be coming soon)! Download the latest version of the Point of Sale app to check it out, and read more details about it in this Itemized Refunds product update. 🎉

View Best Answer >

Message 39 of 45
44 REPLIES 44

How can I get partial refunds to show on the item sales report? Full refunds show, but not partial

Message 22 of 45
Square

Hi @lloyd, currently partial refunds are not itemized so they will not appear in your Item sales report.  I've merged your comment with this thread where we're tracking this request. We'll update here should that change in the future.

Message 23 of 45
Beta Member

+1

This is needed ASAP.  Basic cash register feature that should have been part of Square from the start.  It causes us a lot of delay and confusion when we have to deal with a refund.

Message 24 of 45

Can someone tell me what is a good/better alternative for Square.

It drive me crazy after the holidays of not having the option for partial returns.

Message 25 of 45
Square

@zusenzohome - Have you considered checking out our partnership with Vend? It offers more expanded features for retail businesses. 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 26 of 45

Hi Sean - 

Can you tell us if line-item returns are on the roadmap?

Thank you

Message 27 of 45
Square

@WineRetail - While I can't speak specifically to this question, I definitely know this is a feature that has been passed along to our product team - so it's definitely something top of mind. We aren't able to share details about our product roadmaps (plans often change), but we're always listening to our sellers. 🙂

Sean
he/him/his
Message 28 of 45

It's such a huge weakness in the Square functionality. I was using my Square in a busy situation and I had do do the refund thing because I was ringing up two products that I had previously neglected to enter in to my Square. So I entered those two products and then added them to the customer's order.

Little did I realize that Square had already added them in, resulting in a double order! 

So on the spot, under tremendous pressure (because it was a live situation, with the customer standing there), I had to issue a refund. Square did not provide a way for me to include the tax on that, and it only occurred to me afterwards, so guess who ended up paying the tax on NO SALE? Me. And guess who's report was screwed up because of that? Mine. 

It would have been so much easier if there was a way to either

1. cancel the order and start over, or
  2. issue a return (as opposed to a refund) such that A) tax is included in the refund and B) your inventory report is accurate.

Why can't Square figure this out? 

Message 29 of 45
Square

Sorry to hear about that experience, @creatorofstuff

I moved your post to this thread, as it relates more to the ability to issue itemized refunds. It's definitely a popular request and we'll update here, should it become available in the future. 

Message 30 of 45

That would be great. Hopefully, we will be notified when that happens. ?

Message 31 of 45
Square

@creatorofstuff - We'll be sure to update this thread if this feature is released in the future. 🙂

Sean
he/him/his
Message 32 of 45

I find it difficult and cumbersome not being able to return a specific item, especially when my customer wants to make an exchange.  My numbers for the sales of those items are then inaccurate, which makes my reporting inaccurate.  To overcome this, I have to keep special notes in places, or mark the End Drawer slips.  This is not efficient.  Please correct this.  My customers often make exchanges due to the nature of my business.  

Can you tell me if this is in the development queue and when it will be addressed?

Message 33 of 45
Square Community Moderator

@spinoffyarnshop I hear your frustration and absolutely agree this would help out businesses.

This is a pretty popular feature request that's currently being tracked by our Product Team. 

If anything new comes up we'll be sure to announce it. 

Message 34 of 45

Um...

Square POS iOS app (non-beta version 4.65) release notes from June, 5, 2017,

"New features coming your way: itimized refunds are here. You can now select specific items from a transaction to refund. We'll calculate the exact refund amount and automatically adjust your itemization and inventory reports."

I didn't see this feature after updating the app. Confusing...

Message 35 of 45
Beta Member

I installed the update as well and didn't see any change to the refund functionality.

Message 36 of 45
Beta Member

Aaaahhhh... Apparently itemized refunds is available for Square for Retail ($60/mo), not Square Point of Sale (free). Hhmmmfff

Message 37 of 45

I just updated my POS app on my phone and it now has the itemized returns...I am hoping tomorrow when I update my POS app on the Ipad at my store It'll be the same.  Ive been waiting a year for this feature.  

Message 38 of 45
Alumni

Best Answer

Exciting news - itemized refunds are now available in iOS (don't worry, we're working on Android and it'll be coming soon)! Download the latest version of the Point of Sale app to check it out, and read more details about it in this Itemized Refunds product update. 🎉

Message 39 of 45
Beta Member

Thank you so much!!

Message 40 of 45
Alumni

Thanks for giving us your feedback to help make it happen, @mlgaspar

Message 41 of 45
Beta Member

You guys are the best and I hope everyone keeps spreading the word on how great your product is..

Message 42 of 45