x

Label Printing: Scan and Print Barcode Labels

Beta Member

Label Printing: Scan and Print Barcode Labels

We are a retailer that has over 6,000 SKUs. We have asked for some time if there is an option that can be incorporated into the POS that would allow for us to "Scan and Print". With tons of new items coming in every week, we would love a better option to print out shelf labels, with the easiest option being to scan the new item and print immediately. 

THANKS! 

0 Likes
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Can Square generate SKU numbers?

Hello @GlacierLandings, welcome to the Seller Community! 

This is a great question I'm sure other businesses have. While Square doesn't have a way to auto generate SKU's Shopventory does! Once your products are entered into Shopventory you can run a task where the software will generate a SKU for any item without an assigned SKU. 

I hope this helps! 

103 Comments

@FM thanks for your response! After reading through this forum, I contacted Shopkeep to see if their system is integrated for barcode printing... and it is! And it's cheaper than Square, both for the monthly fee ($49/mo if you pay for a year) and for credit card processing fees (1.95%). So I'm actually going to go with them instead, seems far superior to Square. But I appreciate your quick response and best of luck with your business!

@radishpetaluma We almost went with Shopkeep, primarily because of the barcode issue. But we decided against it because they aren't chip-compliant which makes us more at risk / not covered for fraud. If you accept a payment from a customer who has a chip card, but you run it as a non-chip card (which you have to do on Shopkeep), then the credit card company doesn't have the same protections for you. I think that was the main issue we had with ShopKeep, also their salespeople were annoying. 😛 

@radishpetaluma Just looked at my decision notes to make sure I was rememberint it correctly: Shopkeep isn't EMV-compliant and didn't have a date when they would be. Also I didn't want to have to deal with finding our own CC processor. Those were the main two deciding factors for us when we were comparing Square/Shopkeep. Just our experience, if that helps. 

I'm having the same issue! Please help me... I can't get my barcode scanner to sync with the info I spent days uploading into my iPad!!

I finally got it to work. We USB scanner not sure which one you have, but every time I scanned barcode I got error sound.

I made sku on square up under each item. Then went to inventory management on squareup.com clicked print labels. We have dymo printer so I selected that under label type. Then the location. Then typed in which product I wanted to print. Then create label. My dymo printer printed label. 

Then hen where my problem was. I have USB symbol scanner. It came with sheet of barcodes. On that sheet under USB- I had to scan barcode *usb keyboard (hid). 

Then in when I scanned my barcodes I printed with dymo printer it worked!!!!!! 

I hope this helps! 

So when does android get this?

Is it possible to have Square auto-generate my SKU numbers? I'm just using numbers in order (1, 2, 3, etc) and so have to keep track of the highest number for when I add new products. Surely there must be an option to have Square auto-generate/increment SKU numbers for me?

Super Seller Alumni

Square doesn't do this but you can do this in a spreadsheet and then upload the new items.

That's sort of what we're doing but this seems like a surprising ommission that I've never encountered before on any other POS system.

Yes, I just purchase Dymo 450 turbo and it worked perfectly running with the Square POS software.  I was able to print off over 200 barcodes with the discription and sku numbers in a mater of 2 or 3 minutes.