x

Is there a way to update a card on file?

I have a customer card saved on file that gets charged monthly. 

The card expired - i have the new expiration date and CVV is there a way to update? 

Thanks!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Admin

Hey @pace! Welcome to the seller community and thanks for your post. 🙂

Another seller asked a similar question a few days ago and I think my answer applies to your situation as well. Check out this thread and let me know if you have any other questions: Holding Card on File on eCommerce Store without Charging Card.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 2 of 4
Super Seller

so you would be adding a new card then, correct?  I don't see a way to update or change an existing card.

Message 3 of 4
Admin

Yes, @VanKalkerFarms, you're correct on that. 💯

You as the seller would have to add a new card (e.g. re-enter the full card number along with the new expiration date/CVV), then you can remove the card with the outdated information from the Directory tab.

In addition—if you've set up card on file for invoicing and a payment isn't successful, our system will automatically fall back to emailing an invoice where your customer can enter their new card information and elect to keep it as the new payment source on file going forward. Both you and your customer will be notified that the card on file wasn't charged. We try our best to find ways of letting buyers resolve these kinds of issues on their own so that you don't have to.

Hope this helps make things more clear. Please don't hesitate to let us know if anything else comes up.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 4 of 4