x

Square Stand Power Supply

I have searched these boards in detail and even though there are a bunch of power supply related Q&A none answer my specfic question.

First, I'm not an Electrical Engineer or a power system designer, just a hobbiest, thinker. So here it goes.

Everyone looking for an external power source ends up using a 120 or 220 volt AC battery pack. While this is fine it still has the 12V DC supply running through a step up transformer and a power inverter to get to the AC voltage required to power the includeded power supply. Because of this there is a parisitic drain and a power loss which is why the power pack only lasts a few hours.

Now my thoughts and questions are/is; The output of the included power supply is 12V DC, the voltage output of a deep cycle storage battery is right around 12V DC, often a bit higher but close. Why don't we just not use the included power supply and plug the USB hub right into a cigaratte lighter adapter and into the 12V storage battery? I can almost guarantee you would get 12 hours out of that setup, probably more, and you can take the storage battery back to the hotel or to a near by power source and charge it. If you camp it could be solar charged or charged by your car or truck charging system.

Has anyone tried this? I would be willing to be the first if I can get an additional USB hub so just in case I burn it out and it doesn't work I would have another.

Anyones thoughts, please...

Bob

Bob's Bees Apiary

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Square Community Moderator

Hi @bob393

I haven't heard of any sellers using this specific setup, and we don't recommend using the hardware or power cords with pieces that aren't included with your Square Stand. 

It definitely could be useful for sellers who need that additional battery life when their on the move or selling outdoors. 

Let us know if you end up testing this out, as I'm sure a few of your fellow sellers are curious to know if this works for you. 

Message 2 of 4

I'm sure its not "recommended" since it would be untested but it sure would be helpful outside or if you didn't want to pay for an electrical connection like they do at some shows.

Does anyone know if the usb hub is avalable separately? I took a look on Amazon and I didn't see one.

Message 3 of 4
Square Community Moderator

Hi again @bob393 and sorry for the delay here. 

You're able to purchase a Power Adapter from our Online Shop. 

Message 4 of 4