x

Square Loans and Quickbooks

I have integrated Square with Quickbooks online and so far it's very good.  One issue though is that I was approved and received a Square loan.  To repay the loan there is a percentage taken from every day credit card transactions which is great, except there is no "payment" or fee shown in the data synced with quickbooks.  I can access the square loan payments on square but that information isn't being exported to quickbooks.  So, my question is why not? and secondly, what is the work around if other sellers have the same issue?  Do I create "liability account" and then manually enter payments in quickbooks?  That doesn't seemt right since i'm not receiving the money, rather it's being taken off the top prior to deposit.  Please help.

Message 1 of 23
2 Best Answers

Best Answer

I figured this out.  Go to "banking" on quickbooks online, open the bank account that transactions are deposited in, open "register" for that account and double click on a Square deposit.  It will open up a list of all transactions except only the transactions associated with the specific deposit you opened will have a green check mark by them.  You then change the "payment method" to credit.  You may have to scroll through and open up another page to find all the check marked transactions.  After that the relevance to this topic appears.  Scroll to the very bottom of the deposit page and you will see "other fees" or something like that and there you will see the Square fees and the Square Payment fees.  So I created a liability account called Square Loan so I can change the category of those square payments to that liability account and it subtracts from that deposit automatically.  Does that make sense?

View Best Answer >

Message 8 of 23
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @pozitiveheating, thanks for checking in here. I went to look for updates on our end, but there aren't and developments that I can access and share out. If you haven't already, you may want to touch base with QuickBooks directly for additional advice. Apologies for any frustration, and thanks for your patience as we work with our partners to improve.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center

View Best Answer >

Message 13 of 23
22 REPLIES 22

Great Question! when did you receive the offer? 

Message 2 of 23

Anything?

Message 3 of 23
Square Community Moderator

Hi @HeatherSweetD

Sorry for the delayed answer here. 

Although Square integrates with Quickbooks, all API functions (including what information is extracted from Square) are operated and managed by Quickbooks. It seems as though they only provide information based on  what is actually deposited into your account.

You can try reaching out to Quickbooks directly to see if there's a way on their end to account for Loan repayments. 

Let us know if they're able to get this set up for you 👍🏼

Message 4 of 23

I don't think you understand the problem.  It would make more sense for square to take a payment and then charge a fee for Square Loans repayments in exactly the same way that you would with transaction fees.  There is no data trail.  Does that make sense?  When transactions are imported to Quickbooks, the transaction fees too are imported.  If square loans payments were treated the same way it would too be imported.  The solution now is that I have to get creative with my accounting to show that the money deposited from Square is a loan and then create income that is being taken off the top for repayment and then create a new expense to balance that out and then a separate expense for interest.  That is doable but not efficient.

Message 5 of 23

I think I see what you mean @HeatherSweetD

So to clarify, you'd rather see the Loans repayment removed in the same way that the transaction fee is removed on a per-payment basis, which would lead to easier import into Quickbooks rather than the way that it's currently set up with daily percentage of sales?

Message 6 of 23

Sort of.  It doesn't matter when or how it's taken out but that it is reflected in the sales report that it is a payment being made.  If you open the daily sales report it breaks down everything, discounts, refunds, sales tax, each payment method, transaction fees and in a perfect world for me it would also include "Square Loan Payment" and that data would be exported to any accounting software and then linked to the original loan deposit.  Does that make sense?  

Message 7 of 23

Best Answer

I figured this out.  Go to "banking" on quickbooks online, open the bank account that transactions are deposited in, open "register" for that account and double click on a Square deposit.  It will open up a list of all transactions except only the transactions associated with the specific deposit you opened will have a green check mark by them.  You then change the "payment method" to credit.  You may have to scroll through and open up another page to find all the check marked transactions.  After that the relevance to this topic appears.  Scroll to the very bottom of the deposit page and you will see "other fees" or something like that and there you will see the Square fees and the Square Payment fees.  So I created a liability account called Square Loan so I can change the category of those square payments to that liability account and it subtracts from that deposit automatically.  Does that make sense?

Message 8 of 23

This makes sense, however I literraly have to go in every day and do this.  Is there a way to make it happen automatically?

Message 9 of 23
Admin

@515discgolf Sorry for the delay in this reply! There isn't a way to automate this process at this time but I've shared your request with the Loans team. It certainly sounds like a time-saver! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 10 of 23

Hi Helen,

Can you share with me how to do this with Quickbooks Desktop Mac?

Message 11 of 23

Did you ever figure out a way to do this, we are struggling with this ourselves, thanks

Message 12 of 23
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @pozitiveheating, thanks for checking in here. I went to look for updates on our end, but there aren't and developments that I can access and share out. If you haven't already, you may want to touch base with QuickBooks directly for additional advice. Apologies for any frustration, and thanks for your patience as we work with our partners to improve.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 13 of 23

Tom, where can I find the instructions for this on QB Desktop Mac?

Message 14 of 23

Hi there, @KaeMc 👋 I can step in here for Helen and Tom. Based on Tom's answer above, it sounds like he wasn't able to find any helpful resource to share here. We would suggest you reach out to Quickbooks directly for more support.

I hope this is helpful! 

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 15 of 23

I created a liability account with the amount of the square loan.  When a square deposit comes through you select edit.  Scroll down through all the transactions and you will see all the square fees and square payments.  Change each of the square payments to link to the liability account you created.  Once the balance was paid I then changed the remaining interest payment to "interest paid".  It's a lot of work but it does work.

Message 16 of 23

My problem is as followed:

I am taking over the books for a business from another bookkeeper. It looks like the Square Loan Payment has already been assigned to an EXPENSE account (incorrectly), and daily automatic transfers are taking place with each loan payment going to this expense account in Quickbooks. I tried to figure out how to change that assignment into a liability account, but to no avail.  Does anyone know know where that assignment is done and how to edit the assignment?

Message 17 of 23

I am trying to figure out this square syncing with quickbooks thing and it is driving me nuts.  I can't seem to figure out what it is doing.  I did like you said. Went to banking, double clicked on the deposit that "matched" and the "transactions" that are supposed to be associated with this does not pop up.  If I click on Edit then then "Deposit" page pops up and there are transactions checked under deposits that do not match up to the amount ... but it "matches". Then if you scroll down there are some "other" transactions but done of those have like the tax amount or the payment amount. I have tried calling quickbooks and Square but each one is no help and tell me I need to call the other one.  Very frustrating.  

Message 18 of 23

I also use Quickbooks and Square Loans.

To begin with, I have marked "exclude" on the loan deposit in Quickbooks, so the program doesn't count it as income. (Depending on the version of Quickbooks you have, it may allow a more elegant way of designating the loan money so as not to count as taxable income.)

I then create an expense transaction in Quickbooks, under cash accounting, for the amount of the loan fee. I name it "Square Loan Fee", and upload a copy of the loan agreement as the "receipt" to prove the expense.

After that, I just use the amounts deposited to my bank - exactly as Quickbooks sees them - to calculate my business revenue/proft. Although this doesn't track the amount spent on fees, that amount would be tax deductable and subtracted from your revenue anyway. I personally don't think it's worth creating separate accounts to "do it right", since the numbers work out the same and records exist for regulatory agencies to peruse if they were to raise questions.

The only thing special I do is related to sales tax (assuming you have to collect them in your location). Using the amount deposited in the account to calculate sales taxes owed would shortchange the government (since the deposits are less than the actual sales). So instead, I just download a CSV file showing a summary of transactions, which easily provides the sales tax total.

Message 19 of 23

I'm having a hard time to reconcile my loan in Quickbooks. 

I took a couple loans last year. What is the best way to record these loans?

know that when I imported the Transactions >> Sales Receipts, they were all added accordantly to QB. However, when Square deposits the sales of each day it deducts the payment accordantly towards the loan. So when I try to reconcile the month the money that goes towards loan payments is missing.

What would be the best way to record the loans and the repayment given that the money is taken out of the daily deposit before Square deposit it into my account?

Thank you,

Also please be aware that this is for Quickbooks Desktop MAC

Message 20 of 23
Admin

Hey there @KaeMc. Thanks for your post!

I moved your question here so you can check out @HeatherSweetD's solution. Hopefully this helps!

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 21 of 23