x

Can I send invoices thru Text Message?

I see that we can send invoices via email, but is there a way to send them via text messgae?

Message 1 of 105
2 Verified Answers
Verified Answer

Re: Can you enter a phone number instead of an e-mail on Square Invoices?

Hey! 👋 I've got an update on this feature. 

Take a look at this Community post for more information about sending an invoice without entering a customer email address. 

Verified Answer

Re: Can I send invoices thru Text Message?

I've got you @jj22 🙂

@JVHovey - here's a visual of what @jj22 is talking about. You can select Share Invoice Manually and it will give you the option to Share once the invoice is created.

Screenshot 2020-12-28 at 3.01.37 PM.png

If you missed that step, you can Share the link after an invoice is sent. Simply locate the invoice, click, and select Share. Depending on where you are sharing from and whether the invoice has been paid, you may need to select MoreShare.

This post was edited in December 2020 by a moderator to include an updated screenshot and steps.

1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey! 👋 I've got an update on this feature. 

Take a look at this Community post for more information about sending an invoice without entering a customer email address. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!

View Best Answer >

Message 29 of 105
104 REPLIES 104

We don't want to email invoices to clients and want to provide them a printed copy at their appointment. How do I print an invoice and not send to client first? 

Message 64 of 105
Admin

Hey @RenewMedSpa!

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community and using Square Invoices. 

To print the invoice and ensure that it's not sent to your customer via email, make sure to adjust the invoice method:

If you select to share the invoice manually, it won't send the invoice to the customer via email. Once you've created the invoice, you can print it.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you have any questions about this.  

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 65 of 105
Beta Member

Not at this time, but it is a great idea!

Message 66 of 105

yes you can but you have to select the url option 

Message 67 of 105

Please explain how to send an invoice via text message using "URL option." Many thanks in advance.

Message 68 of 105

well, i was trying to do a picture but I can't put one up to show you. but if you do an invoice go to invoice details then look for the invoice method there will be two options 1: send by email 2: share manually. which will make a copy and past link I would test it out first because I think it only sends the pay menu and will still need an email to complete the invoice I hope I helped 

Message 69 of 105
Alumni

I've got you @jj22 🙂

@JVHovey - here's a visual of what @jj22 is talking about. You can select Share Invoice Manually and it will give you the option to Share once the invoice is created.

Screenshot 2020-12-28 at 3.01.37 PM.png

If you missed that step, you can Share the link after an invoice is sent. Simply locate the invoice, click, and select Share. Depending on where you are sharing from and whether the invoice has been paid, you may need to select MoreShare.

This post was edited in December 2020 by a moderator to include an updated screenshot and steps.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 70 of 105

Many thanks for your help. What I am trying to do, however, is to create and send an invoice via text message to a client for whom I have a cell phone number but not an email address -- and the Square dashboard won't create, much less send, an invoice unless I provide an email address, right? 

Message 71 of 105
Alumni

Ah, gotcha. You are correct. At this time, an email is still required to create the invoice. Since you have the number of the client, you can always reach out for their email address and ask them if they prefer to have it emailed or would still like it to be sent via text.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 72 of 105

Here is what i discovered. Assuming you are working and invoicing from a PC/Mac and not a mobile device, yes you will need and email to create the invoice. Use your own if you do not have one from the customer. After invoice has been created there are two ways to send a payment link. The first way is to use the SEND MANUALLY method as described above. The other way is to open invoice on Square App in smart phone and to access that specific invoice. Scroll down to the bottom and select the MORE option. Here you will be able to text to them via your phone contacts list a link to pay online. This will provide a full invoice including payment option via card.

Suggetion to SQUARE, you need to make this easier.Online invoicing via text should be 20th century tech. You are behind the times.

Message 73 of 105
Admin

Thanks for taking the time to point this out and share your workaround, @zdue. I see what you mean—I'll be sure to surface your post with our Invoices Team. Thanks for your patience and keep in touch for updates.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 74 of 105

Last post about working this topic up to the Square team was January 10. We are now late April... Come on Square Team! Texting is the way to go now. PLEASE make this a priority.

Message 75 of 105

I agree!! We need this badly!!! I have over 300 clients and I cannot sit down and manually share the invoices every month for that many!! You can send them a reminder by typing in their phone number and their provider (at least with verizon, exmple 1112223333@vtext.com in the email spot on invoices) and it will text them but it does not create a link to the actual invoice, they still need to cheack their emails to be able to pay it. This would be an EASY fix Square!! Come on! How many of us have to beg for it before you fix this issue???

Message 76 of 105
Admin

@DrStinger @Maconiron Thanks for your posts! I just want to let you know that sending invoices by SMS is definitely still on our radar. As soon as we have any developments we'll let you know in this thread.

Thanks for your patience in the meantime!

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 77 of 105

I just tried this via my cell phone.  I text my invoice from my cell phone to my husband and it worked.  Thank goodness.  It will show up as the Square emblem.  You tap it and the invoice will appear.  This will be so much easier and faster than sending invoices via regular mail to customers who do not have an email address. 

Message 78 of 105

But, you cannot set up recurring invoices that way. You have to do each one manually. I dont understand why it is taking so long to add this option when the ability to send them is already there. 

Message 79 of 105
Admin

@Maconiron I'm afraid we can't share timelines here in the Community but as mentioned the Invoices Team is aware of this need. As soon as we have more details to share we'll let you know in this thread. I really appreciate your patience in the meantime.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 80 of 105

I am loving some of the new features you are adding!! But still, very patiently, waiting on the automated text messaging option for recurring invoices. 😄 

Message 81 of 105

can you send step by step instructions on how you successfully completed sending via text. from square terminal.

Message 82 of 105

Is there a way to send a Square invoice to a phone number instead of an email address? I have a client that can not currently access their email and wants the invoice sent to their phone number... 

Message 83 of 105

I can only send invoice to cell number by using the app on my phone.  Their number needs to be in their customer profile .  Hope this helps

Message 84 of 105