x

On Square Invoices, is there a way to automatically set up tipping?

On invoices, is there a way to automatically set up tipping?

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 36
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hi @LaunchFishers, thanks for bringing this up. At this time, there isn't a way to automatically set up tipping on invoices.

For now, you'll need to select the box as @telsaan suggested each time you create a new invoice. I can definitely see how automating this step would help with efficiency and prevent the chance of missing out on tips in the future; rest assured that I'll be sharing this with our Invoices Team.

Hope this helps clear things up for now, and please let us know if you have any other questions!

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 36
35 REPLIES 35
Beta Member

When you create the invoice, select the box to allow tipping (usually near the bottom of the invoice screen).  It should give the same tipping options as whatever you have set up for your normal tipping options on your register.

Message 2 of 36
Admin

Best Answer

Hi @LaunchFishers, thanks for bringing this up. At this time, there isn't a way to automatically set up tipping on invoices.

For now, you'll need to select the box as @telsaan suggested each time you create a new invoice. I can definitely see how automating this step would help with efficiency and prevent the chance of missing out on tips in the future; rest assured that I'll be sharing this with our Invoices Team.

Hope this helps clear things up for now, and please let us know if you have any other questions!

️ Tom | he/him
Message 3 of 36

@Tom it has been over 60 days since you posted this response and I still have yet to see any changes???  Surely it cannot be that difficult to add tipping percentages to invoices.  

Message 4 of 36
Square

@morostar - While we always share feedback from our sellers with our product liaison team, unfortunately, it doesn't mean that we can promise development of a future feature. For more details on this process, I'd suggest checking out this thread. It outlines what that process looks like. In the meantime, thanks so much for your patience! 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 5 of 36

@Sean I don't think you understand the importance of this feature.  As a business, I miss out on significant tip revenue by not being able to provide pre-defined tipping percentages for the client when invoicing.

I gladly overlook the higher rates for using the Invoice feature by Square, but certainly should not be missing out on well deserved tip revenue!

Message 6 of 36

I agree with the other paying customers above.  When this feature is finally updated please make sure that it is that there is a way to set the default for tipping check box on both the computer version of invoices and the mobile version.  Seems like an easy fix to read the tipping preference that is already set up and then have the tipping check box clicked on not clicked according to the tipping preference.

Message 7 of 36

As I read the postings a little closer, I realized that there are actually 2 issues being discused.

1.  Tipping preset percentages on invoices

2.  Tipping check box set to default based on tipping preference (on both desktop and mobile version)

Is one or the other issue easier to fix.  Any updates?

Message 8 of 36
Square Community Moderator

@Clay No updates at this time. This is one of the more popular requests, so we'll be sure to update this thread if anything changes. 

Message 9 of 36

I can't wait for the update! 

Message 10 of 36
Beta Member

It’s been almost 2 years since you wrote that this is one of the most popular threads. What is the hold up??? 

Message 11 of 36
Beta Member

It’s been over two years.

Message 12 of 36
Beta Member

Yes there is a way that you can help! Change it so that we can set percentages for tipping when we invoice! This is surely not  a difficult thing to do and the only work around for it benefits Square to not crelate this option because Square makes a larger percentage when we have to add gratuity as a sales item on invoices. Square, this is not okay with us and the people have been asking for this feature for YEARS. What is the hold up?

Message 13 of 36

This question was posted over 6 years ago and the invoices are the exact same. Its truly sad that this hug company hasnt figured out a better way to add tipping to the invoices.

Message 14 of 36

When creating an invoice and then selecting the option to Allow Tipping, it does NOT give your client the same tipping percentages setup on the Square Register.  Only a blank tipping field.  The client will have to make the calculation on his/her own, and sometimes they forget to add any tip at all.

THIS IS A CRITICAL OPTION THAT IS MISSING.  IT HAS BEEN CONSIDERED FOR TOO LONG AND NOTHING HAS BEEN DONE.

WE, AS BUSINESS OWNERS ARE LEAVING MONEY ON THE TABLE BY NOT HAVING THIS OPTION AVAILABLE TO US.

SQUARE WOULD NEVER LEAVE MONEY ON THE TABLE FROM THEIR END.  WHY SHOULD WE?

This is not acceptable from such a big name in the credit card processing industry.

Message 15 of 36

Totally agree with morostar. To help pay Square, tips are a vital part of our business as well.

However, we are a business that has a high ticket price and the suggested 15, 20, and 25% increments are too much and may even discourage tipping.

When will we be able to customize the tipping amounts/percentages for invoices?

Message 16 of 36
Admin

Hey @integraldjs, welcome to the seller community and thanks for resurfacing this. I just checked for any updates but we do not have any developments available at this time.

Rest assured that I will share your post with our Product Liaison team, and we are continuing to track this request. Sorry for any inconvenience — we will circle back with any other details as soon as we know more.

️ Tom | he/him
Message 17 of 36
Beta Member

Voicing more support for the need to pre-set tips on invoices. This is extremely important, and one would assume simple to implement by Square.

As a work-around, I created an Item called Tips and I enter the tip amount manually. That way, my customer can see that tip has been included. Unfortunately, this creates bookkeeping complications by having to separate the tip amount from sales in my accounting software (QBO). 

Message 18 of 36
Square

Appreciate you taking the time to share your interest in this feature, @Harmonic. I also really appreciate you sharing your workaround. I'll make sure and share the feedback with our product team! 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 19 of 36

I would definitely like to add my voice to the "auto add the tipping line".

I don't care if you add the suggested percentages or not, but my office manager and I often forget to click the "allow customer to add a tip" box and the customer either just doesn't tip, or has to call and ask how to add a tip.

Today my office manager left it off of a corporate invoice for $22,000.00.  The client paid the bill and never asked about a gratuity for the staff. Now we either have to just let it go, or make a very uncomfortable phone call. 

Message 20 of 36
Alumni

Hey @calheart - Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with the Community. I can definitely see how tipping via invoice would be helpful to avoid a situation like that. We'll make sure to share your feedback with the Product team 👍🏼

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 21 of 36