x

My husband and I both want to use our contactless+chip reader. Will both stay synced?

We use the reader at different times of the day. When my shift starts, will my phone still be synced from the previous day, or will syncing his phone turn mine off? Hope this makes sense.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, 

That's a great question that a lot of folks don't figure out until they attempt to use it across multiple devices at the same time. 

The Contactless and Chip Card Reader can only connect to one device at a time, so you're not able to use it simultaneously on both of the devices. 

You'll need to disconnect the Contactless and Chip Card Reader from your husbands phone and connect it to your own when you want to use it on your device. 

There's two ways you can disconnect the reader: 

• From the Reader itself
    • Hold down the reader’s power button until you see solid, red lights (around 6-15 seconds), and then remove your finger. The reader should be ready to connect to a different device.
  • From the Square app:

• Tap the three horizontal lines > Settings > Card Readers.

• Select your reader from the list, and tap “Forget this Reader”.
Message 2 of 4

What about if you have two different accounts? I have an account for donations to a ministry and another account for my business sales.  Can I use the same contactless reader for both accounts? Will I have to reboot the reader, or is that determined which account is signed in on my phone?

I don't use them both at the same time, but I would sign in to one account or the other at a time.

Message 3 of 4

Hello @dalengarris

Your instincts we're correct! Our hardware is universal, so you just need to make sure you're signed into the correct account when taking payments. 

Let me know if you still have questions. 🙂

Message 4 of 4