x

Is there a way to temporarily deactivate a particular item?

Is there a way to temporarily deactivate a particular item? I would like to remove it from the list of items so it doesn't get used in error but I don't want to lose the historical sales information, and the item will be used again at a later date.

Thanks for any insight!

Message 1 of 60
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

You can absolutely accomplish this with the workaround I'll share below!

What you'll want to do is head to your Item Library, then select the item you wish to hide to view the edit page:

Where you see Locations, click the location shown to view the Locations pop-up screen:

You'll want to deselect all locations at which the item is currently listed as available.
Don't forget to save your changes afterward - I hope this helps, @TaraE!

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 40 of 60
59 REPLIES 59

Hello - I use Square for a school parent association. Once a year we hold a Fireworks Booth and one of our board members accesses our Square account via their smartphone Point of Sale app. The rest of the year we also use Square for an online store to sell logo wear and other items but during this Fireworks Booth we would like ONLY the Fireworks category to show up on the smartphone app. Is there a way to hide everything else temporarily so ONLY that one category shows? There are many fireworks items and it is quite cumbersome to have to scroll through them all plus our regular items when we aren't using them this time of year. Or is our only option to delete everything else and re-add them when the school year starts? Thanks. We ONLY need to be able to access via smart phone, not using online store this time of year. Thanks.

Message 22 of 60
Admin

Welcome to the Seller Community @exipa! 😀

At this time it's not possible to hide category or item but I'm moving your post here so that you can see Sean's suggested workaround above!

It's important to note that you would need to set up a new location to follow the steps above. For example, you could create a new location called 'Fireworks booth'.

With this feature your board member will also be able to sign into that specific location on his smartphone, and he'll only see the items he needs to see! 

Please note, if you create a new location you can deactivate it but you won't be able to delete it.

Check out this Support Center article for more info about managing multiple locations with Square

I hope this is helpful but let me know if you have any other questions! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 23 of 60

We have a number of items that we do not use every year but do occasionally come back into stock in following years. Is there a way to archive items for a period of time in order to clean up the item list? The only option I see now is to delete items.

Message 24 of 60
Admin

Hello and welcome to the Seller Community @yptdc

There isn't away to archive items but I've moved your post to this thread so that you can read about the current workarounds above.

I'll also share your request for a way to archive items with our Product Team. Read more about feature requests and the Seller Community here.

If you have any other questions let me know or feel free to start a new thread!

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 25 of 60

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: archiving inventory

Is it possible to archive inventory?

Message 26 of 60
Admin

Hi @AchoredIn! I'm adding your post to this thread so you can read the current workaround which is to make the item you want to hide/archive unavailable from your locations. But if you decide to delete an item it won't affect your past reporting. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 27 of 60

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: How do deal with inactive items? Delete?

We use square mainly to sell tickets to our show once per year. Square doesnt allow de-activating items so do you leave past items as the are? Do you put into a category of old or something like that? Or do you simply delete? 

Thank you. 

Message 28 of 60
Admin

👋 @Dancer2016 Take a look at the Best Answer shared by Sean, he's shared a workaround to 'hide' items you're no longer using. Or, if you like, you can delete an item that you won't use again in future. Deleting an item will not affect your past reporting! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 29 of 60

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my question! 

Message 30 of 60
Admin

Of course! You're very welcome! 😀

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 31 of 60

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Can I 'Hide' items so they do not appear on selling dashboard?

Hello

I want to clean up my item selling board.  Can I "Hide" items so they do not appear on selling dashboard.  These items are now not being sold.  I do not want to delete them, because that will mess up reports, but I do not want to have to scroll through a million items when checking out a customer.

Thank you!

Message 32 of 60
Admin

Hello @R1995! I've added your post to this thread so you can read the workaround posted by Sean. 

And just to let you know you can delete an item if you like - and deleting an item will not affect your past reports.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 33 of 60

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Can I make an inventory Item temporarily inactive?

Is there a way to make an inventory "inactive", with the option of making it active again later?  I saw this question a year ago and the answer was basically NO, but hoping that has changed?  I have a constantly changing list of wines and beers, and other items also.  I would like to make them disappear from Inventory searches for my employees, but not have to re-enter the item each time it reappears in my inventory.  Also, would like to retain historical data for inventory items.

Message 34 of 60

Hey @Tricia1, welcome to the Seller Community! 

I can certainly help with this. 😀  You can remove an item from your location using your Square Dashboard.This will keep the item in your inventory, but it won't show on the Point of Sale App. The steps are easy, head to the items section of your Square Dashboard:

• Click on the desired item so you can edit it. 

• Click on the Locations tab. 

• Then un-check all locations and hit save. 

I believe that viewing historical inventory is currently a feature request we're looking into. @Kpay could you confirm that this a feature request? 

Message 35 of 60
Alumni

@Chad Yep, this is a feature request and we'll make sure to include @Tricia1's thoughts when we talk to the product team. Thanks for posting @Tricia1!

Message 36 of 60

Hi. Can I just put may +1 to have it as a feature request please? I don't even want to see it in my Item Library until I need it (eg Christmas stock).

Thanks

Message 37 of 60

I have items marked as Sold Out on my website. If I have an availability Date for purchase I post that date on the website product pages.

Message 38 of 60

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Is there a way to inactivate an item?

I want to inactivate an item so it doesn't show up on my items list, but not delete it.  Is there a way to do that?

Message 39 of 60
Alumni

Best Answer

You can absolutely accomplish this with the workaround I'll share below!

What you'll want to do is head to your Item Library, then select the item you wish to hide to view the edit page:

Where you see Locations, click the location shown to view the Locations pop-up screen:

You'll want to deselect all locations at which the item is currently listed as available.
Don't forget to save your changes afterward - I hope this helps, @TaraE!

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 40 of 60
Beta Member

There is another way to inactive an item by hiding it. After you signed in, Click Online -->Items-->Site Items. Looking for the item you want to inactive. Click that item, it will take you to edit page. There are 3 buttons for you to choose: Visible, Hidden, Unavailable. After selecting the one you wanted, click save 

Message 41 of 60

PM1973_0-1645238806069.png

Here is a Screen shot of the Zen Cart Listing for Catagories

Message 42 of 60