x

Is there a way to NOT allow discounts on specific items?

Is there a way to NOT allow discounts on specific items?

I give my staff a discount on products but I do not want to allow a discount on travel size items.  Is there a way to mark them so they can not be discounted?

2 Verified Answers
Verified Answer

Re: How do I restrict all discounts on purchases of alcohol?

It sounds like you would like the ability to restrict specific items from discounts, @burrito 🌯 
While this is not currently possible, you are able to select the categories and items that discounts apply to.

1. I would first recommend creating a category from your Dashboard to house all of your alcoholic beverages in.

2. Next, you'll create or edit a discount via your Discounts page.
    While here, toggle ON the Discount rules option in the Automatic discount section:

3. You'll want to select the Item or category option in the pop-up that appears here:

4. Next, you can select all categories that you would like the discount to apply to.
    Be sure not to select the category you created for your alcoholic beverages!

Please let us know if this isn't quite what you were looking to do, and we can dig in a bit more 

Tom
Verified Answer

Re: Is there a way to NOT allow discounts on specific items?

Hi @salon208 — welcome to the seller community! ✌🏻

Thanks for surfacing this. Currently, we don't offer the option to restrict discounts on specific items, though I can see how this feature would be helpful for many businesses like yours.

I'll be sharing your suggestion with our Product Liaison team, who is constantly working to improve our products based on seller feedback. We'll certainly circle back with any other developments that may be useful.

Please keep in touch for updates and if you have any other questions, let us know!

189 Comments

This is an issue for us as well. Please advise if a work around is created. Thank you.

Alumni

Hi @OntheBeach

Thank you for sharing the need! If you'd be up for it, I'd love to chat more about how you are using discounts in your business as an input to our product development process. If you will send me a direct message, I'll share my calendar so you can pick a time that works.

Right now we do not have a systematic way to prevent a discount from applying to an item. In a reply to ShayMaze in this thread, I posted some images about how to remove a discount from a single item if that is helpful. The example was a case discount for wine - it would take too long to apply a discount to every item, so it would be faster to apply the discount to the cart and then selectively remove it from items that it does not apply to. 

I would also like a way that the discount could be applied to just certian categories.  I own a retail store and we have sales on seasonal merchandise quite often.  If I could go into the categories and turn on a discount for the items that would be included in the sale, it would save us so much time and effort and reduce error at the checkout.  Please add this soon.

I sell jewelry and I would love to be able to have the category of "necklaces" have a discount of 20% while all other categories do not.

Super Seller Alumni

I've been waiting two years for this very simple feature.  But I'm confident it will happen in 2018, but probably 2nd half if I had to guess.

I am new here but everything I look at has a canned responce by some admin about letting the team know. Based on this board, I am starting to think that the Square Online Store is not a priority for Square. If you want a more robust environment where feedback is acted on in a relativly timely manner and not simply put into some nebulus bucket of feedback it might be better to look elsewhere. I have loved the dashboard and reports. I will ride it out for a bit longer but my optimisim is pretty low here. The lack of SEO is weird too don't you think? Maybe an aftermarket solution with Square for processing... Maybe that is what they really want anyway 😉

Alumni

Hi @Monkeydrive - Square's online store isn't configured best for every business. Right now, we see most success for those businesses that are using online store for pickups. 

For other businesses who are looking to use an online store more robustly, we recommend one of our e commerce partners

What type of business do you run? Tell us more about yourself! 

Hi, I use the Square online store for my handmade jewelry site. I have been happy with the processing of payments and the dashboards and tools are great. I have been looking at sites like WIX because the inability to target categories for discount makes it hard to have sales that are not run of site. Also the lack of SEO is odd too as who wants an online presense that cant be found...online? I have gotten around this by having an active facebook page for my site. All in all your online store is great but the chinks in the armor are starting to show. I would much rather deal directly with you guys and have a wholistic positive experience rather than to be sent to one of your partners. You guys are a big company with deep pockets. I am sure that you have development priorities for your online store but when I look for answers to issues that affect me, I always see a "This is a popular request...we will tell the team" message and often there is no resolution after sometimes years. I get that you get what you get with free but you guys are so close to great for your online store and $20something a month to a partner site  just to get the one or two things I need that you could do is a bit of a letdown. 

We are a non-profit theatre company, and we have a concessions bar at our theater and use Square as the POS (no online store). We sometimes leave "vouchers" for donors & VIPs, which can be redeemed for one food or beverage item, but NOT for merchandise. Is there a way to remove this one type of discount (which is a 100% discount) from an entire category of items, if not from the merch items individually? No merch will ever be given away, whether by employee or manager, so we want to remove from ALL merchandise the "Voucher" discount as an option, entirely. Any advice?

Hello @VineyardTheatre! Welcome to the Seller Community! 🍿 🎥  🎬

Currently restricting discounts by categories or items is a feature request that we're looking into. @elaine_p has been collecting feedback throughout this thread on the subject. We don't have a timeline we can share publicly, but we are looking into it! 🙂