x

Instant deposit showing as a debit instead of deposit

Instant Deposit is depositing into my account, but on Friday and today I noticed it is listed as a debit instead of a deposit with a minus symbol in front of each deposit on my bank app. It says pending so my bank cannot check it out yet, but the teller mentioned it is on the Square side of things. I tried calling support on Friday and today, but square phone lines are not working. I also emailed support on Friday and was sent an automated email back saying they would look into it with 1-3 business days. 

This is ridiculous! I cannot reach anyone in support and just wondering if other businesses are noticing this with Instant Deposits? 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Hello @NACS, I understand the frustration on this one. 

I have heard of this happening before and it has to do with how your bank is routing the credit. We send Instant Deposits the same way to all banks, then it's up to the bank to process the credit on your account. There have been very rare cases in which the bank might debit your account instead of crediting it. If this happens no need to panic, our Support Team will work with your bank to get your account credited. 

If you have any questions please let me know! I would be happy to help out. 😀

Message 2 of 7

Thank you Chad! Steve from Support also emailed me reassuring me that it is a common occurrence. It's just weird that it started last week after using Square for a year and a half. 

Message 3 of 7

I had the same problem yesterday with a deposit from square showing as a debit. My bank says Square has been having an issue with this for week and they have directed many customers to contact Square. 

Message 4 of 7
Alumni

Hey @tkeithharris - Go ahead and get in touch with our Support team so they can help you look into this.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 5 of 7

I've emailed but no answer yet. Phone not answered. 

Message 6 of 7

After I spoke to Support it showed a deposit on my bank app for about a week. Square said it was my bank and my bank said it was Square, so who knows really. The past 2 weeks it has been showing a minus symbol again for the instant deposits, but I know it is actually depositing into my bank account, so I am not too worried anymore. I do make sure each day though! 

Message 7 of 7