x

Beating a Dead Horse but it needs to be: Preauthorization

Beta Member

Beating a Dead Horse but it needs to be: Preauthorization

We need to be able to preauthorize credit cards when running a tab. Period.  We really enjoyed the low buy in and easy menu development and a couple of the other features, but a bar/restaurant needs to be able to run a tab and preauthorize a credit card.  I've gone back and looked at conversations about it and it appears that this has been a CONSTANT request by users that has gone ignored.

I'd like to know why it isn't available.

1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Beating a Dead Horse but it needs to be: Preauthorization

It IS FOR SURE COMING!! 🙂 they’re running beta testing on it now, so hang in there, I almost switched, glad I didn’t because I really do like the company but this definitely has been and issue that’s cost me hundreds of $$. Hopefully testing goes well and it rolls out soon 🙂

698 Comments
Admin

@SHEMP There isn't a way to collect a damage deposit with Square at this time. I've added your post to this thread where we're tracking this popular feature request. 

Ok, thank you.

Adding a card to file is not a quick process and requires many sub levels of entry. When we are busy at our Cafe, there isn't time for that. How can we save credit card information for open tabs with a swipe like bartenders do? Seems like an easy fix, but I am not a programmer.

Admin

@KoraKora You're right, you can swipe a card to open a ticket but it won't save your customer's card information on file or pre-authorize their card. To close the sale they need to provide their card.

I don't have a timeline to share for when this will be available but I'll share your experience with the product teams so they can see that it would be a useful feature for coffee shop owners too! 

Really? I can not believe that there has been zero motion on getting this functionality.

I would love this option as well.

My average transaction is over $500. Often times customers want to just pay a portion of the total and pay the rest at a later date. Is there an option for that? I've looked into the "open tab" or sending an invoice but I want to just be able to come back to a charge at a later date and have them pay their balance then. Is this possible? 

Admin

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: I want my customers to be able to leave a deposit and pay the balance at a later date.

Thanks for your post @occoquanoptical. I'm afraid there isn't a way to accept a deposit or partial payment with Square at this time.

I've merged your post in to this thread so we can let you know if this feature is available in future. 

Yes, I currently do a 75% deposit and remaing balance due on a later date.

This would be great if Square could offer this feature.

I also collect a damage/secuirty deposit.  Since Square doesn't have that feature to hold funds, I decide to collect this deposit 21 days pior to the date of service.  This way the refund is done closer to service date and refund doesn't affects my books as much.  But yes, if Square could accomadate busniesses that do need to put ahold on funds, that would make my life a bit easier.

Thank you!

Small Busniess Owner

It has been 2 YEARS since this question was asked, and their answer is still "not currently at this time." It is obvious Square does not concern themselves with this ongoing request from many of their customers. Imagine how many potential customers Google this question, and then decide to go with another merchant service without leaving a comment. Well, I'm leaving a comment saying this is a need for my business that I have patiently been doing without for several years, and it's time that I find a company that offers that feature.