x

Can you create a standing credit on a customer's account?

Any way I can create a standing credit on a customer's account that they can use toward a future purchase?

Message 1 of 29
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Credit on customer account?

Not directly, but you could issue a gift card in the amount that you wish and they can use that gift card to pay until it's used up.

28 REPLIES 28
Super Seller

Not directly, but you could issue a gift card in the amount that you wish and they can use that gift card to pay until it's used up.

Message 2 of 29
Square

@VanKalkerFarms - Great suggestion! 

@SimmieRead more about ordering and setting up gift cards. Also, since VanKalkerFarm's reply answered your question, would you mind marking it as Best Answer?

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 3 of 29

With issuing a Customer a gift card for their credit they then have to have the gift card with them to purchase? I am wanting to set up a customer with an internal credit that shows when i click on customer name and point of sale. Anyway to do this?

Message 4 of 29
Admin

Hey @NWK, thanks for checking in. At this time, customers will need to have the gift card or gift card number present to be able to redeem it. While the ability to have a standing credit on a customer's account still isn't available, you might find our electronic gift card option to be useful as a workaround: Square eGift Cards.

I realize this isn't quite hitting the mark on your request, so I'll be sure to share your post with our Product Liaison team — keep in touch for updates!

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 5 of 29
Beta Member

I'm trying to accomplish the same as the OP... can you create a egift card as the owner without having to "buy" one from my own company? 

Message 6 of 29

Hello @Jumpstartr! Welcome to the Seller Community. 

This is a great question! The new eGift card is a little different than the physical gift cards. The eGift card will require a credit card or debit card payment to load the card. There is no work around for this. So creating a manager credit is not avalible currently. I will pass this feedback to our product team! 😀

Message 7 of 29

Any idea of how soon that might become a feature? We do work a lot around customer credits when they register for a function and end up not making it. I am afraid we might have to go to another POS system if this feature will not be available soon. We are trying to get away from having to have any paper copies or cards to keep up with. 

Thanks,

NWK

Message 8 of 29

If anybody is counting we need the same capability also.

Message 9 of 29

I am trying to find a way to do the same. I swap and trade with customers and want to have the amount I credit them linked to their profile. So, in the app: the "create a gift card" option does what exactly?

Message 10 of 29
Beta Member

I know this is a year and a half after this thread started, but I just ran into the same issue. I’m in the hair business, and I sell jewelry in the salon. A client paid for her hair services and bought a jewelry item. At her next appointment she wanted to return the ring, and use the credit to pay for her services. A customer credit or “managers” gift card would be a perfect option to solve this problem. It would be great on a refund to choose one of these two and not have to find a work around.

Message 11 of 29

I am trying/needing to do this exact same thing.  

Message 12 of 29

I would be really ideal to have a way to issue credit to a customer without requiring them to have a card on hand to access the credit. The credit could be associated with their customer account/cell phone number/email, so each purchase they would just need to provide name/phone/email to pay. A lot of my customers do this, I recently switched my POS over to square and this is the biggest complaint I am hearing from customers. They don't like the gift card solution... 

Message 13 of 29

Hello @NWK

Currently this feature request is not on the road map yet. So we do not have a timeline we can share. I know that this is disappointing to hear, but we are still tracking these requests. if anything changes @Tom or I will update this thread. 

Message 14 of 29
Super Seller Alumni

Ok, here is what I am doing.  

• I have a gift card that I sold a customer and put let's say $100.00.
  • I turn around and sell an item and add save the card to their phone number.
  • Then the next time they come in they give us their phone number and we use "Card on File" to pay for the sale.  The receipt lets them know the balance left on the account "Card".
  • When the card gets low we let them know.
  • We then add money to the Gift card charging their credit card or cash the next time they are in.
  • We actually keep the Gift Card in a locked file with their name on it so we have it when it is time to recharge it.
  • I am going to order a small box of customer Gift Cards that look like a "Business Account" cards.  Then I can give them the card and it looks a bit more Professional.
Message 15 of 29

RHatch, how does any of that answer the problem of creating an egift card without "buying" it? So far, my workaround is to just pay for it and lose the 3% when my money is deposited from the sale. 

Message 16 of 29
Super Seller Alumni

I was just giving an alternative to the questions in the post.  

"Any way I can create a standing credit on a customer's account that they can use toward a future purchase?"

My option stated above.

And

"I am wanting to set up a customer with an internal credit that shows when i click on customer name and point of sale."

Yes, by saving the Gift card to the customer's name and using "card on file".

And

"../.can you create a egift card as the owner without having to "buy" one from my own company."  

No, but you can use physical gift cards.    Gift cards are anyware from $.90 to $2.00 per card, can be reused and have no transaction fees.  In my opinion it is the best solution at this time for creating a credit on account.

Message 17 of 29

Hi, this is what we're doing. Case, I have customer that painted our buliding for coffee/product exchange (yippeee, right)! So, I added his name to "comp list" with trade as reason. When he orders, he says, "comp Jeff," and bingo adds his total to the square as comp. From there I can see his order on dashboard and under comp, select month of July and see his total amount comped for work he compelted. Color me smart coffee lady!

Message 18 of 29

Seems I can't spell correctly today though! LOL Beg my pardon.

Message 19 of 29

Hi, I created my own customer account in the POS that doesn't require to use gift cards or egifts cards. Now This is acceptable for my business, maybe not for you but I thought I would share. 

I created group called Credit Account. For my client that pay in advance or on recurirng payments it seems to work very well for me. I have to set it up the way I would use it. 

My Steps:

1. Create a Customer Group "Credit Account"

2. Add all customers with a Credit Account in to the group

3. Went to customers - Settings - Configure profile and created a title "Credit Account Balance" Setting it as a text imput

4. I create an Item "Credit Account" and a Category "Credit Account"

Now here is the tricky part - You can decide where you want the credit to show up. When a client pays you, You have to use the form of payment that they use ( Cash, Credit, Check). On my sales report is comes up as that tender. When I cash them out I use other (because I use recurring invoice) on the receipt it gives an option to name the tender, so I use..wait wait...yes "Credit Account" I pull a statment at the end of the month and send to my customers. Just like a bank statement. Since they are buying credit so to speak and I ring out any acutal items they buy with credit account, it matches out. 

Note if you use account number. Just make an additional profile setting for that. Let me know if you have any questions. But I would always test it first. 

Message 20 of 29
Beta Member

The way we do it here is by setting up a discount in the customers name.

So we would set up something like "Jack Smith $40 Credit" and make it a password protected discount so an employee just cant give it to someone else.

We have also set up an open ticket to track things as well  - for exapmle "Mary Smith $100 Credit" we keep that ticket open and add up items over time once we hit the $100, we close the ticket.

Message 21 of 29