x

Do I have to use Square template to import items?

I need to set up my item library.  Do I have to download the Square template, fill it out and upload it, or if I already have a csv file with the item info, can I just upload that?  I'm not very techy.  I am hoping to avoid having to manually fill in every item on the Square import template, and was hoping to be able to use a pre-existing spreadsheet of items (if I can get my hands on one) to save time and trouble.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 32
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

@mrsblastfmr - Welcome to the Seller Community!

Yes you do need to use our template. We don't currently support alternate spreadsheets. Also, you'll want to make sure you don't delete rows or columns from the template.

Hope this helps! 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
Square

Best Answer

@mrsblastfmr - Welcome to the Seller Community!

Yes you do need to use our template. We don't currently support alternate spreadsheets. Also, you'll want to make sure you don't delete rows or columns from the template.

Hope this helps! 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 2 of 32

Thanks Sean!

Message 3 of 32

Hi Sean.  Finally getting around to filling out the import template.  Is there a document with descriptions for each of the fields that you can share with me?  I want to make sure I'm filling it all out correctly.  For example, I understand what Current Quantity means, and I assume the New Quantity is what I want to carry.  But what is Stock Alert Enabled for Stock Alert Count?  The SKU number - if the items I have don't actually have a SKU, can that be just any identifying number I choose to use? What is Token?  Variation Name - would that be where I enter sizes maybe, if I have a product in multiple sizes?

Thanks so much!

Message 4 of 32

Two more questions.  In the Price column, do I need to add $ to each price or will that be done automatically during import?  Last, In the Tax column, is that a Yes or No field, or Y or N??  I just want to do this one time, so I need to get it right. 

Message 5 of 32
Admin

Hey @mrsblastfmr, thanks for circling back!

Jumping in for Sean here — you can find a chart of the CSV field descriptions and additional details on what they refer to in our Support Center.

Sounds like you're right on track — you don't need to add "$" to your price and a simple "Y or N" will do for the Tax column. 🙂

Hope this helps get you in the right direction. Please let us know if anything else comes up!

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 6 of 32

Hi Tom.  I reviewed the chart and it's very helpful, thank you.  I do have one question still.  Even after reading the descriptions, I don't understand what the difference is between Current Quantity and New Quantity:

Current Quantity [Your Location Name] Numeric. If you are using Inventory Management this is the current quantity of this item defined as in stock. Changes to this field are ignored on import.
New Quantity [Your Location Name] Numeric. If you are using Inventory Management, enter your current stock count here. This count will replace any existing stock count.
Message 7 of 32

Sorry, one more question.  In Variation Name, is that where I would enter the different sizes of product I carry?  For example, Pomegranate Cleanser, I carry 6.5 oz and 16 oz.  So I would enter the Name and Description in the corresponding fields, but then the size in the Variation Name field?  Thanks!

Message 8 of 32
Square

Yep, @mrsblastfmr, the variation name is usually the second descriptor of the item. For example your Item would be "Shirt" and variations would be "Small, Medium, Large." Does that make sense?

Message 9 of 32

Thanks Spenser, that does make sense!

Any input on my prior question regarding Current Quantity vs New Quantity?

Message 10 of 32
Square

Oops, missed that part! Those are two fields on the import/export sheet. When you export, you'll be given Current Quantity at the time of export. If you need to update your item count, you'd use the New Quantity field to do so when importing the file back. Does that help? 

Message 11 of 32

Ohhhh! Ok! So if I'm setting up my initial inventory, I will use the Current Quantity field and leave the New Quantity field blank. Then in the future when I'm making updates, I will use the New Quantity field. 

Thanks so much Spenser!

Message 12 of 32

Adding another question to the template question.  Is there an easy way to add item cost using the template?  Or do I have to go back in later and update costs for all my items?

Message 13 of 32
Admin

@TSK You can use the template to enter a price for each of your items! When you download the template look for the Price column. This is where you can edit the cost of your items before importing the template back to the Dashboard.

If you haven't set a price for an item yet you can enter $0.00 or leave the field blank. For any items with a variable price, type Variable in the price column.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 14 of 32

Jumping in here, as I am setting up my inventory for the first time as well. For the variation column, if I carry the same item in sizes XS-XL, would I then need to create a row for each size? So on my spredasheet I would have 5 rows for one shirt to represent each size variation?

If so, will all of these sizes be grouped together under 1 item in the sqaure dashboard or will there be multiple listing for one item?

Many thanks, 

Mercedes

Message 15 of 32
Admin

You've got it @Shopthestream!

As long as you enter the same name under Item Name in each row, you can then add the different sizes under the Variation column. That way these size variations will grouped under that item on your Dashboard and in the Point of Sale app. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 16 of 32

What do I do if each variation has a different sku number and price? When in square I can edit that, but how do I enter that into the excel to import it?

Message 17 of 32
Admin

Hey @rmcubam, you'll be able to download the template and enter the appropriate number in the SKU column. In addition, the corresponding variation name and price columns should line up in the template. Are you able to see those options?

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 18 of 32

Which column in the import spreadsheet is for price (cost) and price (retail)?

Message 19 of 32
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @AVMercantile - I just tested this out using my own exported Item Library and re-uploaded after altering.

It looks like item price as related to cost will be in Column G, while unit cost can be added and edited in Column S. 

I understand that this CSV can orient differently based upon device or software, so I recommend reaching out to our Support Team for further assistance and hands-on troubleshooting. 

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 20 of 32

I have been trying to download the square template but have been unable to accomplish that.

The instructions say to go to the "Items" then to action and select import, the select either of the two options and the website will prompt you to download the template...it doesn't.

So my question is why don't you just have a simple listing in the menu to download the template.  If everyone has to follow the template, it seems a simple listing of here is where you get the template that you HAVE TO FOLLOW would make things a lot easier for everyone.

Message 21 of 32