x

Is there a way to see deleted saved tickets?

I am wondering if the app stores a record of deleted saved tickets? In other words, if an order has been entered in the system but deleted before the payment is made in the system?

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 45
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hi @toybox, welcome to the Seller Community and thanks for bringing this up.

At this time, there isn't a way to view deleted Open Tickets from the Square app. In the meantime, you can prevent employees from deleting tickets by using the Employee Management permissions to restrict their access to this capability.

Please don't hesitate to reply with any other insight! 🙂

This post was updated by a moderator in October 2021 to include an updated suggestion.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center

View Best Answer >

Message 12 of 45
44 REPLIES 44
Square Community Moderator

Thanks for this feedback, @crossroads. I am passing this over to our Product Teams as a Feature Request now. We will continue to update this thread whenever new requested features become available! 

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 22 of 45

I can’t believe square can’t show deleted transactions, tickets, items etc....Why?? That’s the first way employees will steal from you.! The shame is that square has known about this for years and simply does not care enough to change their software for the better of its users. They are putting their profits above small business across this country. Really is a shame that people putting their life savings into their small business gets caught up with this. The only reason Square has to not change is costs..... Why even have these threads when NOTHING is ever changed to better us. #deletedticketnotification#cashpaidoutreports

Message 23 of 45

We hear you, @IHI.

Developing comprehensive reporting features - especially when doing so for multiple employees and Point of Sale stations - can take some time. 

We want to insure that all feature requests introduced into the Square ecosystem have been fully tested and are as successful as can be in providing our Merchants high-quality data and information about their business.

We appreciate your patience, here.

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 24 of 45

This thread is almost 4 years old now, your're telling me a company of your stature does not have the resources to develop ticket history with over 3 billion dollars in earnings?  This will ultimately lead to my company using a different processor.  

Message 25 of 45

We use Square in our restaurant. Last night, I was training a new employee and creating "phantom orders" on the system to familiarize her with how it works.  Later in the evenling, I tried to delete the test orders but it created a voided ticket instead of simply deleting it. Is this something that Square recently added or did maybe someone click on a setting within our system that we need to remove?  If it is something we have done, can you please direct me how to fix it since I can find nothing about it in the settings?  I ended up with 4-5 voided tickets on the sales receipts at the end of the night.  I'm not sure if it affects anything, but it may look sketchy to our accountant if it happens too often.  Thanks to anyone who may be able to help!

Message 26 of 45

seriously. This is a HUGE theft issue. All we need is a report of deleted tickets OR if a ticket is deleted we get a "deleted ticket notice" on kitchen printers. something to have a check and balance. Please. 

Message 27 of 45

@Winemaker,@Chad Is there any update on this?  It so easy to print a bill for customer, pays cash, cashier can go back remove items before closing the ticket without having any view on reports that that took place. 

Message 28 of 45

@Gam1 Unfortunately there's nothing new to report in regards to viewing  deleted saved tickets. I agree that it would make sense to have at minimum a notification when tickets are deleted, so we'll continue to advocate for this and hopefully we can get some movement in the near future. Stay tuned for updates. 

Message 29 of 45

We have counter service so we take the order and payment immediatley. Staff often will ring up several days of their own food and pay when paid. I suspect some may be deleting their saved tickets. Is there any downside to makeing it so only I can delete items? Is there any reason why they would need to be able to delete a saved ticket when we do not save tickets for guests because they pay when they order at the counter? 

Message 30 of 45
Admin

@thatearlybird If you're using Team Management then yes there is a permission called  "Delete Saved Items in Open Tickets" and another called "Manage all open tickets" —  you could try removing these permissions from the role assigned to these employees and see if that does the trick.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 31 of 45

If I were you I would simply turn off Open Tickets and require staff to pay before the same day or before they get their food (same as a customer).  Otherwise staff will "forget" to pay or "accidentally" delete their tickets.  If you don't use Open Tickets for any customer related reason, just disable it.

Message 32 of 45

This is a huge issue and it should be an easy implementation considering all the money square collects and resources you have.  All POS systems I have worked on prior have “no sale” records and deleted item records. It’s unbelievable there’s no way this is being recorded. 

It’s been 3 years since this thread was started and there’s been no kind of fix or solution. I’ll be shopping for a new POS system as soon as I’m done typing this message. 

Message 33 of 45

Not just tickets! Items toO

Message 34 of 45

Yessss!!!!!! I am considering using another brand, if they offer that… It’s a normal problem in  businesses unfortunately

Message 35 of 45

Not only deleted tickets, but deleted items as well… They can erase one or two items and keep the cash

Message 36 of 45

This reply was created from merging an existing thread:  Order tickets

I have two issues with order tickets in my restaurant. First, the original time the order was put in, is lost once you look at that ticket on the terminal. So unless you write the time down on a notepad or get the kitchen's copy that has a time print on it, you don"t know.

Second! This system gives the employees the opportunity to send an order to the kitchen, have the food made, then delete that order ticket and it does not show up anywhere and no way of tracking it. 

Today, upon opening, after being closed for two days, we saw that there was a to go order that was 3 days ago.(sometime on the last day of our work week!) It originally showed 3 days but after it was looked at, it now has today's time on it. I have a lunch shift and a dinner shift each day, but don"t know on what shift this happened. Obviously, in a rush, one of my waitress' bagged up the to go order and let it go, without being paid for. If the system tracked and had a report for order tickets to compare to sales to keep things honest, would be great.

Message 37 of 45
Super Seller

Hi @Glynda4610 !

I completely agree that the time stamp on saved tickets should not be updated upon reopening, or perhaps if it does that Square automatically puts a time stamp somewhere on the ticket. Something like:

--Ticket Created 2/22/19 by Server--

Item

Item

Item

--Ticket Modified 2/26/19 by Server--

etc.

Hopefully that's something the dev teams would take under consideration!

As for the deletion issue, you can prevent employees deleting tickets by using the Employee Management permissions to restrict access.

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Super Seller: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!
Message 38 of 45

We have found multiple security holes in the Square POS, several of which have already been mentioned in this thread:

- if you open a saved ticket, Square will update that ticket's timestamp to the current date/time.  This is ludicrous!  Why would we not want to know when the ticket was originally created??  If you update the timestamp every time we open to see what's in the ticket, the timestamp becomes useless.  Should be an easy fix, but as you can see, after years of customer complaints, no action has been taken.

- Deleted items.  My manager and I just discovered this enormous security flaw in Square's system today.  Essentially, Square provides the ability to either void, comp, or simply DELETE items from a saved ticket.  If employees void or comp the items, Square records it and we can track which employees are voiding/comping items; no problem there.  However, if an employee simply deletes an item, there is NO RECORD!!  I repeat, there is NO RECORD!  What???  I wonder how many employees have been stealing from Square customers over all these years??  It's literally as easy as choosing "delete", and there is no record of what items were added/deleted from a ticket.  The only option we found it to remove employees ability (if you sign up for Employee Management) to "delete or void items in a ticket".  Well, sometimes an employee may have a legitimate reason to void an item, which is fine, because we can track it through Square.  But now we must remove the ability to Void, because it is paired with the ability to Delete, which for some crazy unknown reason Square didn't think would be important to track.  Obviously Square's product dev managers have never owned a business with employees and are clueless as to the basic needs of any business.

- transaction log of items added/deleted either from a open current order on the register, or from a saved ticket.  This is completely missing from Square reports.  If Square cannot create appropriate permissions to prevent employee theft, the least they could do would be to log the actions of employees so our management team could monitor and look for variances.

Square is a great solution for small mom and pop businesses where the owners work the cash register, but once you grow to the point where you need to trust employees to run the cash registers, Square lacks the basic security features required to keep your business safe.

Message 39 of 45
Admin

@splater Helen here from the Communty team - I'm really for all the trouble you've had using Square at your business and I wanted to follow up on the issues you've raised here.

Regarding Open Tickets and printed time stamps: Our engineering team is actively working to fix this and we've been updating this thread. The fix will be included in a future update to the app and I'll post in that thread as soon as that update is available. 

If you use Team Permissions (the free or paid version) you can restrict an employee's ability to remove an item from a ticket as well as their ability to comp/void a ticket with the 'Delete or Void Saved Items in Open Tickets' permission disabled. I'm sorry that the permission is two in one but if this doesn't seem to be working and your employees are able to delete a saved item please call our CS team so we can investigate this further. 

And last but not least I definitely understand that being able to track deleted items/actions taken on an Open Ticket in a report or a log of actions would help. I'll share your experience with the Reporting teams so we can explore this further, we'll continue to post updates here in the Community. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 40 of 45

“And last but not least I definitely understand that being able to track deleted items/actions taken on an Open Ticket in a report or a log of actions would help.“ This is The most important part, because if the average person can count back cash, they can delete and pocket!!! Fix this! This is the most important 

Message 41 of 45

Helen,

Has Square dev team made any progress at all on any of the security issues I mentioned back in August, and others before me have mentioned years ago?  All your comments say "thanks for the feedback, I'll pass this to the Dev team, they'll work on it, blah blah blah".  No action is ever  taken, no updates ever rolled out.  The ticket time stamp security issues persists.  The deleted items security hole remains.  The lack of basic logging remains.  Its like, Square already has the functionality built in for users to delete item, open/close/reprint tickets, etc.  All we need is for you to log these transactions somewhere (can be either command line or "print a report" from the GUI, I don't care).  You've already done 99.99% of the work.  Just do the last .01% and you'll have a solid, secure product.  We are talking about very major security holes that require very minor updates to fix.  Maybe you guys can pencil in a couple hours one day next week to focus on and fix these issues?  Very frustrating to constantly hear the "we're working on it BS".

Message 42 of 45